Hello From Michigan

66cuda

Hello All. I was directed to this forum by way of another forum where I've been inquiring about WWII Army Helmets. 

I have always had a fascination with the WWII time period and the amazing things we did as a country for the war effort. My Grand Father was a B-17 mechanic so I have a soft spot for that particular bomber. 

I'm working starting a collection and one of the first items (besides firearms) that I was looking to add was a WWII helmet. There are so many fakes and restorations out there that even after reading up on the topic I still feel incredibly lost. I am hoping that the fine folks here can direct me towards info and reputable sellers. My dream is to find a really nice, original helmet with Division markings. 

Thank you for your help!

Backtheattack

Hello and welcome to the forum, wish you a nice time here. Think you will find some sellers here, or in the stores linked to this forum.

Welcome to the forum! My GGGUncle was an Engineer/Gunner on B-17s (and at the end, for a brief time, B-24s)! So, I totlaly agree with you about the plane and the mechanics! As to helmets . . . those are deep waters! There are about a bazillion things to learn about helmets! However, lots of good people on here to help you! sgtdorango is really nice and usually has answers for all my helmet questions! :)

18 hours ago, stratasfan said:

P.S. What unit was your Grampa with? ETO or PTO?

My Grandfather passed before i was born but from what I can tell looking back through the papers and pictures we have, it looks like he was part of the 80th air depot group. His book has listed the Eastern India Air Depot, India-Burma Air Service Command.