1917 holster marking?

Scottz63

Got this in yesterday to go with my pistol rig. Been looking for a few months for the right one. Got a pretty good deal on it. Pretty nice shape, still nice and pliable. Needs a little cleaning. Saddle soap maybe? It's a 1942 Textan. It has an interesting marking on the inside of the flap. Something I have never seen before in one of these, a faint ordinance bomb. Anyone seen this before?

Hol2.jpg

Hol3.jpg

Hol4.jpg

Hol5.jpg

Please don’t put Saddle SOAP on that holster. Saddle soap is bad for leather. Wipe it down with a damp cloth and get the top layer of dirt off. Then if you think you have to put something on it put Picards leather dressing on it. 

Ronnie

Got it. I have been reading a lot about saddle soap and other dressings/cleaners since this post, I will stay away from all of them. Thanks.

I have also found a very old post on this forum about the ordinance bomb stamp. Appears that a few early WW2 holsters had this marking. Cool. I would like to see how many more of these there are still around. Anybody have one?

Scott

That's a nice looking holster, and I agree that nice leather gains nothing -but can lose everything- by coating it in products. If the holster has survived for this long without any of those, then as long as the storage and handling (not a whole lot) is considerate it should last another lifetime. In the end old leather is old leather and can never be made new again, it can only be appreciated before time claims it fully.

PS - I'm going to move this post to the Firearms section, where more can see it and comment.

Thank you! I'm not going to put anything on it. Going to clean it with a soft bristled brush and wipe it down with a damp cloth. That should be good enough.