NJ First Defender Medal to an Officer in the 10th NJ

Hi all, 

This recently arrived in the mail courtesy of Mr. Lipps. It's a great example of a scarce medal, awarded by the state of New Jersey by members of the NJ Brigade who responded to Lincoln's call to arms in 61. Generously Mr. Lipps also included several pages of research with the medal. 

My example is named to Frederick T. Farrier. Farrier enlisted in the 2nd NJ (3 Month) as a 2nd LT. in Co.G. The 2nd NJ served mostly rear line and garrison duty during their 3 month service and was held in reserve at the Battle of Bull Run. Farrier mustered out of the 2nd NJ on July 31. However it seems as though home life didn't sit well with Lt. Farrier as he re-enlisted in March of 1862. Farrier enlisted in the 10th NJ, Co. G as a 1st Sgt. However Farrier soon returned to his rank of 2nd Lt of Co.G. Soon being promoted to Captain of Company G, 10th NJ by December of 1864. 

As an officer in the 10th NJ Captain Ferrier took part in many of the great battles of the later war. Including: Siege of Suffolk (4/1863),, Battles of the Wilderness and Spotsylvania Courthouse where Farrier took part in the assault on the salient (otherwise known as bloody angle). After the Overland Campaign the 10th was pulled back to DC and played a role in repulsing Early's raid at the Battle of Fort Stevens. After this the 10th was attached to Sheridan's Army of the Shenandoah where it engaged Early's army at Winchester, Fisher's Hill, and Cedar Creek. At the conclusion of the Shenandoah campaign the 10th was sent to the line at Petersburg where they took part in the final breakthrough.  By the war's end the 10th had suffered 2 officers and 91 men killed and mortally wounded and 190 dead of disease. 

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

USCapturephotos

Nice medal! He was at Suffolk which is an interesting battle and not discussed much to my knowledge. Thanks for showing your find with us. I look for idd pieces from my ancestor’s regiment, the 12th New Jersey.

Paul

Beautiful medal with clean original ribbon. The high relief of these early medals is truly impressive. A great history as well. Thank you very much for posting and yeah Andrew comes up with some amazing pieces . Mike