USAAF- One that got away...... because I let it.

TheCrustyBosun

TheCrustyBosun

Ever sell, trade, or otherwise let go of an item and then regret it?  Happened to me.  In 25 years of collecting, there have been a couple of items in that category, but one really stings especially after joining the forum. 

The first complete uniform in my collection was a set of pinks and greens that I put together in 1998. I found a nice named tunic with 1st and 9th AF patches on it with a matching officer’s shirt from Jayson, also with a 1st AF patch. The tunic and shirt came from the same guy as well as his garrison cover. Unfortunately, it didn’t come with trousers.

Being new to the hobby and not knowing any better, I did manage to locate a pair of pinks. The trousers came from Colonel Bubbie’s Strand Surplus and were originally made for the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets.  GIG’EM AGGIES!!! (I’m a Texan born and raised) I purchased a service cap/crusher from Garcia Aviation and my shoes were a pair of US Navy brown lowquarters from the NAS Corpus Christi luckybag. 

Earlier this year, I sold the tunic and shirt. I had changed my focus to the PTO and the 5th AF. A couple of weeks ago, I joined the forums and it really hit me. I screwed up by selling it. So, I learned a lesson and got a case of “if I knew then, what I know now.”

I did keep some photos of the tunic and I located a photo of me wearing it for a ceremony aboard USS Lexington in 1999. 

Here’s the Lexington photo in all its newbie glory- big Meyer hat badge, collar brass on the shirt, Aggie pinks, and Navy lowquarters. 

Also.... I actually wore the Aggie pinks in a movie in 2000. I was an extra in Pearl Harbor. I wore these trousers under my wardrobe-issued HBT coveralls as a Doolittle Raid aircrewman. Cringeworthy, I know. I’ll include a photo of one of my pay stubs for fun. 

BE41B7D2-4B92-45D2-8CDE-38F4AC1D0B21.jpeg

4CE38434-33F3-4AA2-80D4-7422A26121D5.jpeg

6F2EE395-AA92-47E0-8775-AE4365C35309.jpeg

5F24F678-0B32-403C-A070-914DEC7A1DF1.jpeg

93716A32-9198-4234-9BFA-A26D630005F2.jpeg

VirtueSignalCorps

We've all been there for sure.  When I was in 3rd grade (about 1982) I bought a mint WW2 helmet and liner from a local military surplus store.  I remember it was dark green and had a small lieutenant's bar painted in silver on the front.  Khaki chin strap.  At that time where I lived those helmets were a dime a dozen.  I had no idea at the time that it was genuine WW2.  When I grew up and left home I didn't take it with me because I no longer wanted it.  Thankfully my parents didn't throw it out.  Instead they gave it to my nephew, who is into re-enacting.  He recently told me that his research showed both the helmet and liner were WW2.  I really could kick myself for leaving it behind, but on the other hand I'm glad he got it.  He uses it for his re-enacting.  Kind of cool actually.