1st Marine Division Blood Patch on Kim Hunter's Husband.

patches

One Captain William Baldwin at his wedding to actress Kim Hunter in 1944, no month seen, Baldwin is an Aviator! So not sure where the patch comes in, was he a liaison pilot in the division? did they have them?

kim hunter.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My thanks to member USMCR79 who checked muster rolls and found his units in the earlier part of the war.

Name:William A Baldwin

Muster Date:Oct 1942

Station:Marine Fighting Squadron One Twenty Two, Marine Aircraft Group Eleven, First Marine Aircraft Wing, Fleet Marine Force, C/O Postmaster, San Francisco, Calif.

Name:William A Baldwin

Muster Date:Jan 1943

Station:Marine Fighting Squadron One Twenty Two, Marine Aircraft Group Furteen, First Marine Aircraft Wing, Fleet Marine Force, C/O Postmaster, San Francisco, Calif.

This unit Marine Fighting Squadron One Twenty Two was on Henderson Field, so I guess there's the connection with the 1st Mar Div.

Though he should of worn the 1st MAW by then, I guess it was more of his being on the ground on the Canal in direct association with the 1st Mar Div.

image.png.637d95a133530b851093b2dc5696fc85.png

In addition, member believes he was a Korean War recall, you know like Ted Williams, but apparently served stateside in that conflict.

• 4 weeks later...

I would think maybe he wore it having been on Guadalcanal. Maybe even just because it says "Guadalcanal", not necessarily because of a connection with the First Marine Division.