M1912 Ration Bags Variation

atb

I have two of these. The one marked to the 8th Evacuation Hospital has a much different method for attaching the shoulder straps on the back than I have seen. It appears to be original period construction. Done for cost, materials, and labor saving? 

Evacuation Hospital No. 8 Ration Bags with other example.jpg

First time I've seen it too. Who made them? I assume RIA made the one on the left and a subcontractor the set on the right?

Interesting variation, I have seen a few where the shoulder straps are sewn direct, from memory all were later alterations.

I have had a single bag with just a web suspender and no metal fixings, I currentIy have a pair that have had the original fittings removed with a new piece of web professionally sewn to the back and the remaining suspenders, but being a different color web the alteration is clear to see. 

Are your suspenders both all one piece and if so are the narrower ends constructed in the same way as your standard pair, do they have the short web billets attached?

Looking at a drawing for these the last alteration was late November 1918 and the suspender construction has not changed from the original design, of course there could be a later drawing with the alteration added.

Knowing the date and maker might be useful if the stamp remains, also seeing the front of the suspenders would be interesting.

Sorry for all the questions, just interested.

Both halves are marked RIA/1917.

1. Are your suspenders both all one piece? Yes

2. Are the narrower ends constructed in the same way as your standard pair? Yes

3. Do they have the short web billets attached? Yes. I am missing the short adjustable straps with snap hooks that attached to these short billets. Anyone know of any loose ones around?

I looked on the inside of the two halves, and there is no evidence of the removal of any other straps.