Military Police Detachments in WWII

Denise S

Hi all,

I am new to the group for awhile.  I'm Denise S. and I am the granddaughter of a WWII vet that served in the 6th Inf Div, 63rd Inf Reg, Co K.  I also married a military man who did 21 years.  I am trying to find information about my grandfather's brother who served in WWII as a military policeman.  His name was Earl L. Watters and was with the 9201st Tech Service Unit.  Can anyone tell me more about it and what he might have done in that unit?   I did find a booklet on here that listed the detachments and I looked through them. Here's what I found Det. 5B1 Staten Island, 5A1-NYPE BABT and a listing for 5AU-Port HDQDT.  I don't know what those mean. I appreciate any help with this.  Thank you.

Hi Denise and welcome to the forum.  I can help you a little bit.  NYPE would be New York Port of Embarkation.

I can't find anything on BABT??  5AU-Port HDQDT is 5th Army Unit - Port Headquarters.

New York Port of Embarkation, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York (listed in the National Register on September 23, 1983 as the United States Army Military Ocean Terminal) This complex of huge storage warehouses (designed by renowned architect Cass Gilbert), built in the last years of World War I, was the headquarters of the New York Port of Embarkation (NYPE) in World War II. During the war, the NYPE grew to include ten terminals around New York Harbor, employing a total of 55,000 men and women at the height of the mobilization. During the course of the war, more than three million troops and over 63 million tons of supplies moved through the port.

On 10/15/2020 at 2:56 AM, MP25 said:

Hi Denise and welcome to the forum.  I can help you a little bit.  NYPE would be New York Port of Embarkation.

I can't find anything on BABT??  5AU-Port HDQDT is 5th Army Unit - Port Headquarters.

New York Port of Embarkation, Brooklyn, Kings County, New York (listed in the National Register on September 23, 1983 as the United States Army Military Ocean Terminal) This complex of huge storage warehouses (designed by renowned architect Cass Gilbert), built in the last years of World War I, was the headquarters of the New York Port of Embarkation (NYPE) in World War II. During the war, the NYPE grew to include ten terminals around New York Harbor, employing a total of 55,000 men and women at the height of the mobilization. During the course of the war, more than three million troops and over 63 million tons of supplies moved through the port.

• 8 months later...

9201st seems to be HQ at Camp Kilmer, NJ

My grandfather was transferred to 9201st during WWII there after serving in European Theatre