Rare WWI Suspenders

TrenchRaider1918

TrenchRaider1918

These are not the M1907 model or the rare M1903 ones, the only instance I've ever seen this pattern is on Belleauwood's Marine display here on the forum. I heard they are M1914 but not sure. Can we determine what model these are and if they are exclusive the Marine gear? I wonder how high these will sell for! :blink:

Thanks,

Carl

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...;Category=13974

Somewhere on the forum are other discussions about these suspenders plus a few good period photos of a US Marine wearing them. I'll take a look and see what I can find.

Appreciate the reference N.R. I had seen that post but forgot about it entirely. I'm certainly not questioning anyone's integrity here, but other than that one photo, is there anyother definitive source that these were in fact a Model of 1914 suspender, used by the USMC? I guess I'm just too darn skeptical anymore, but a secondary reference would be just that much more proof to establish a previously unknown model and who used that model. Thanks.

Appreciate the reference N.R. I had seen that post but forgot about it entirely. I'm certainly not questioning anyone's integrity here, but other than that one photo, is there anyother definitive source that these were in fact a Model of 1914 suspender, used by the USMC? I guess I'm just too darn skeptical anymore, but a secondary reference would be just that much more proof to establish a previously unknown model and who used that model. Thanks.

The USMC published a manual on the equipments. Greg Robinson knows more about the subject than I so I hope he chimes in.

If you have a copy of the Mills Woven Equipments Catalogue, take a look at plate 1. The suspenders are no. 202 and are listed as " Mills Suspenders Navy and Marine Corps Model", plus listed as $1.25 w00t.gif !

Your're absolutely correct N.R., there they are on plate 1. in all their $1.25 glory! My Mills catalog reprint doesn't have a date, would it be perhaps 1914? If so, that pretty well pins the tail on this donkey and we can all go watch the Ebay show to see where these unique suspenders go. I'd guess well over$400 and since I've already dropped out of the bidding thumbdown.gif , I promise I won't do anything to make that prediction come true. :lol:

Your're absolutely correct N.R., there they are on plate 1. in all their $1.25 glory! My Mills catalog reprint doesn't have a date, would it be perhaps 1914? If so, that pretty well pins the tail on this donkey and we can all go watch the Ebay show to see where these unique suspenders go. I'd guess well over$400 and since I've already dropped out of the bidding thumbdown.gif , I promise I won't do anything to make that prediction come true. :lol:

Yes I think the catalogue is 1914. I still hope Greg will post the period photos, I can't find them on this forum

I wouldn't be surprised about a $400 ending price. Early USMC items are rare, desirable items, and often fetch high prices on eBay.

Greg Robinson
The USMC published a manual on the equipments. Greg Robinson knows more about the subject than I so I hope he chimes in.

If you have a copy of the Mills Woven Equipments Catalogue, take a look at plate 1. The suspenders are no. 202 and are listed as " Mills Suspenders Navy and Marine Corps Model", plus listed as $1.25 w00t.gif !

I started a topic a few weeks ago on the pre WW2 USMC suspenders based on the 1936 Army pattern. I've never seen these before. I assume they're rare?

These are not the M1907 model or the rare M1903 ones

How "rare" are the model of 1903 suspenders these days? I haven't looked for any in 10-12 years, so I really don't know if they are rare or just "harder to find" than they used to be.

I would guess this pair of "USMC Model of 1914" suspenders are in fact rare as they were not adopted as an issue item by any branch of service as far as we can determine today. Kind of like the Mills belts, holsters and other accessories that never became issue items, but were available to purchase from Mills. Is this a fair assessment to make? think.gif

Okay, I've searched this forum, plus the MCF for the photos of a circa 1914 Marine wearing the suspenders. I swear they were posted here a good while ago. I believe they came from a 1914 manual on USMC accouterments. The photos showed a Marine with M1903 Cartridge Belt, oblate-spheroid canteen, the suspenders, and the USMC version of the 1878 Blanket Bag.

craig_pickrall

Frankie, is this the pic you are thinking of? I posted it here sometime back and do not know where exactly.

post-5-1232729529.jpg

Yes that's it Craig, thanks! I thought it may have shown a better shot of the suspenders. They're there but hard to see. Any other photos from that manual?

Or maybe I'm thinking of the 1921 USMC officer's equipment with M1917 Suspenders.

craig_pickrall

This era is outside my area of interest and I know very little about it. I decided to do a little looking around anyway because I am curious about the suspenders. In a fairly short time I did manage to find a little more info.

Jim Moran calls them M1910 suspenders in his book. I thought 1912 was the year the USMC decided to do their version of the Army's M1910 gear but I am not sure either way. Based on one of my pics however, we know the suspenders existed by 1912. In that pic there are several Marines wearing the suspenders so it does seem they were more than private purchase items. Also there is a recruiting poster that shows the suspenders. Usually I do not consider art work a valid reference material but in this case, I think, if they are on the poster it is a confirmation of wide usage / issue. I also included copies of the Mills Catalog info so everyone doesn't have to scramble around looking for their copy.

post-5-1232734209.jpg

post-5-1232734215.jpg

post-5-1232734220.jpg

Greg Robinson
Jim Moran calls them M1910 suspenders in his book. I thought 1912 was the year the USMC decided to do their version of the Army's M1910 gear but I am not sure either way.

Carter Rila used to correct guys for using the nomenclature "P1912" when referring to Marine Corp adaptations of Army 1910 field gear. In fact, it seemed to be a pet peeve of his. :D Best I recall from what he said the items were still a 1910 pattern and "P1912" was just name dreamed up by collectors.

Thanks Craig, Great photo and illustration! The first photo shows the Marines Wearing the 1907 Army Suspenders so that would predate the 1914 USMC model.

• 6 months later...
General Apathy

Hi Members, so I missed what these actually sold for on eBay as they are no longer litsed ???

Reading the two pages of thread is like reading a book and then you get to the last page and someones tore it out.

Does anyone recall the ending price was, please

Cheers ( Lewis )