"M2 d-bail"

elh1311

On 10/13/2020 at 1:24 PM, dmar836 said:

Not the best angle but sure doesn't look like the right shape where it's welded.

If you follow the link, you can get a better look. 

10 hours ago, ken88 said:

The Inland liner could actually be ok from what's visible in the pics. 

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anywhere in the listing that this liner was an Inland. The whole set up looks like an aged At The Front or J Murray rig. No disrespect to either entity, they both make quality reproductions. 

18 hours ago, ken88 said:

The Inland liner could actually be ok from what's visible in the pics. 

I agree, looks like a nice original Inland liner. 

More shots of the chinstraps would he helpful, they look OK too, they lot number could tell us a lot.  

3 hours ago, Justin said:

the lot number could tell us a lot.  

Lot number is 325D according to the description of the auction

12 hours ago, Nickman983 said:

Lot number is 325D according to the description of the auction

And I understand that to be outside the known M2 range, which doesn't go past 250 if I remember correctly. 

16 hours ago, Justin said:

I agree, looks like a nice original Inland liner. 

More shots of the chinstraps would he helpful, they look OK too, they lot number could tell us a lot.  

I asked the seller for better pictures of the bales and for pictures of the manufacturer stamp in the liner.

My concern is that the liner is made to look like an Inland but isn't a genuine one. 

I'm thinking it will Westinghouse or Firestone. Guess we'll see. 

1 hour ago, Burning Hazard said:

This one could be a good one. However, the painted hearts and D-bail feet would require better inspection.

Pat

I asked the seller for more pics. 

9 hours ago, Justin said:

How can you tell?

Doesn't say it's an Inland in the listing most of the repro liners seem to be Firestone or Westinghouse. 

The seller is a professional Militaria dealer.

They know exactly how to describe and photograph this helmet but they have left out the most important information and have not taken pictures of the most important parts.

To me that seems suspicious especially when you’re on dealing with a potential $10,000 to $15,000 sale.

6 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

Are the bails even in the right spot?

The one bail looks like its incorrectly placed.

If you look at the pictures of the helmet both with and without the liner, you can tell that bails are off. The one on the right side of the picture has significant offset in comparison to the other one. 

I know of two other legit M2s for sale, not nearly in this good of condition, that are starting at $7,000 for the roughest of the two. 

6 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

Are the bails even in the right spot?

The one bail looks like its incorrectly placed.

If you look at the pictures of the helmet both with and without the liner, you can tell that bails are off. The one on the right side of the picture has significant offset in comparison to the other one. 

I know of two other legit M2s for sale, not nearly in this good of condition, that are starting at $7,000 for the roughest of the two. 

From the photos on the site, I would not want to own it.  Certainly looks too much like the flood of fakes that ravaged the US in the 90's & early 2000's.  As stated, a high caliber helmet (if this were real) would only take a phone call to sell.  If listed on a site, HIGH QUALITY PHOTOS of all the right spots would be included, with no guess work needed.  IMHO, this is junk made to deceive and rolled away on an auction site.

1 hour ago, Tom Kibler said:

From the photos on the site, I would not want to own it.  Certainly looks too much like the flood of fakes that ravaged the US in the 90's & early 2000's.  As stated, a high caliber helmet (if this were real) would only take a phone call to sell.  If listed on a site, HIGH QUALITY PHOTOS of all the right spots would be included, with no guess work needed.  IMHO, this is junk made to deceive and rolled away on an auction site.

Yep 

Burning Hazard
5 hours ago, manayunkman said:

The seller is a professional Militaria dealer.

They know exactly how to describe and photograph this helmet but they have left out the most important information and have not taken pictures of the most important parts.

To me that seems suspicious especially when you’re on dealing with a potential $10,000 to $15,000 sale.

Are they on USMF? Would be good to see some additional pictures. It does seem odd to not include those photos for such a big item...

Pat

3 minutes ago, Burning Hazard said:

Are they on USMF? Would be good to see some additional pictures. It does seem odd to not include those photos for such a big item...

Pat

Pat, I don’t really know who they are other than the fact that they are a dealer auctioneer and have been around for a while. Peter

On 10/17/2020 at 1:05 PM, elh1311 said:

And I understand that to be outside the known M2 range, which doesn't go past 250 if I remember correctly. 

Correct, the current database of known M-2 helmets does not exceed 250. However, one legitimate M-2 showed up a few years back with the number 660.

Bear in mind that this database began in 2011. It has been a slow build gathering these numbers from collectors with detailed photos and multiple verifications. When we reached the number of 235B we thought it could go no higher until the 660 showed up at the SOS in 2018 and was verified by multiple A/B collectors who were there and held it in hand, as spot on legitimate. So, the database is not science, only a help and is still under construction.

4 hours ago, Bugme said:

Correct, the current database of known M-2 helmets does not exceed 250. However, one legitimate M-2 showed up a few years back with the number 660.

Bear in mind that this database began in 2011. It has been a slow build gathering these numbers from collectors with detailed photos and multiple verifications. When we reached the number of 235B we thought it could go no higher until the 660 showed up at the SOS in 2018 and was verified by multiple A/B collectors who were there and held it in hand, as spot on legitimate. So, the database is not science, only a help and is still under construction.

I have updated pics from the seller. It is now outside of my range of expertise. 

b26ac288a758586a8cca77f9e7b8bfdc.jpg

bf6245473ffa2df7596720b11d83b321.jpg

e5e11c431935d686f8cebbb4eca50bc5.jpg

0c7149b01334aec4086b49b56cb15e2d.jpg

1f3b3c48664b5545ffe2a458faff48aa.jpg