Opinions On Oddball 1950s Officer’s Uniform w/ Ranger Tab

AirMechanic

The patch combination on this officer’s jacket seems pretty odd to me. Can anyone tell me what is legit and what may not be on this uniform? On the right shoulder is a WWII cut edge Navy Amphibious Forces patch, with the stitch outline of a 2nd Infantry Division patch underneath.

The left shoulder has a 1950s cut edge Ranger Tab and a cut edge USMA patch. I find both the Navy Amphibious Forces patch and the SFC rank patches to be odd. Was it possible during the late 1950s for a SFC to wear a officer’s uniform? 

The pants are WWII issue and the jacket is dated 1959 in pen on the label. Both the pants and jackets look like they were reissued at some point, as there are multiple names in both. I can’t quite make out the name on the Officer’s jacket label (it looks like Sprigins, or something like that), but it also has Hendren stamped in the armpit (that name is also on the pants).

Can anyone tell me if the patch combination on this uniform is original, or what may not be correct? Any help is appreciated!

B5AB6FCA-2B18-4246-A64E-C22CCB0CB435.jpeg

73AB042F-6AB4-453D-9B87-08DE48BEB216.jpeg

19DE13C4-DA42-4109-B0C7-58ADADB000A2.jpeg

49A645DF-C0C0-47EC-87EA-6332AE367B05.jpeg

BE04BEAE-94EA-41C7-B389-B6F6D16F16DB.jpeg

7D7BC6A2-C795-4A1D-B440-CFCB207100D1.jpeg

2FA08098-9700-432F-B501-D1370A45F3A3.jpeg

C8F884D6-108E-4E51-A092-7CC8DABC4822.jpeg

6B93B0E3-ABDE-4619-B5B5-DD6ED26599E3.jpeg

DFD3FE6C-A6AB-4122-9BF3-4C8FD9B8A30B.jpeg

Looks good to me. He was probably prior-service Navy and then joined the Army sometime after WWII. I've seen a bunch of Army uniforms with Marine unit patches on the right shoulder, so this one wouldn't be farfetched. Cool combination of patches!

Yes, those details are what I am curious about. I don’t know what the uniform regulations were during the late 1950s/early 1960s. Did NCOs ever wear khaki dress jackets? If so, would they have been allowed to wear an officer’s jacket with their NCO rank, or would that have been strictly against regulations?

As far as the other patches go, I’m trying to piece together a possible scenario if this uniform is legit. The WWII Naval Amphibious Forces patch is throwing me for a loop though.

There are 6 overseas service bars (3 years) and 6 hash marks (18 years of service). I would think that if those 3 years of overseas Army service was either from WWII or Korea (or both), that the right shoulder patch would be an Army unit patch. Was the WWII Naval Amphibious Forces ever authorized for wear on Army uniforms (either WWII or post war)?

This is a rather interesting uniform and I am glad that we are getting to look at it. It is unusual that we are seeing cuff braid on the uniform, but I believe that there was a regulation that allowed soldiers who had served as an officer and had later reverted to an enlisted rank were allowed to wear cuff braid. I know I have seen it a couple of times with WWI officers who reverted back to enlisted status after the first war. It was not that uncommon for officers who held commissions in WWII to revert back to an enlisted status in order continue in the service. There were a very large number of AAF officers who became NCOs as the AAF transitioned to the USAF. That being said, it would be far more common to see an enlisted soldier wearing a tan uniform without the piping.

As for the Naval Amphibious forces combat patch, it is possible that the veteran was in the navy prior to joining the army and it is also possible that the man was in a special situation where he was working as an liaison to the navy in the amphibious forces. Maybe he was a naval officer who later went to the army?

The chevrons, overseas bars and hash marks in AG44 green would date the uniform as being worn as early as 1955 and then into the 1960's or even 70's. Enlisted soldiers were allowed to count all service time (officer and enlisted) for wearing their hash marks.

Allan

easterneagle87
9 minutes ago, Allan H. said:

This is a rather interesting uniform and I am glad that we are getting to look at it. It is unusual that we are seeing cuff braid on the uniform, but I believe that there was a regulation that allowed soldiers who had served as an officer and had later reverted to an enlisted rank were allowed to wear cuff braid. I know I have seen it a couple of times with WWI officers who reverted back to enlisted status after the first war. It was not that uncommon for officers who held commissions in WWII to revert back to an enlisted status in order continue in the service. There were a very large number of AAF officers who became NCOs as the AAF transitioned to the USAF. That being said, it would be far more common to see an enlisted soldier wearing a tan uniform without the piping.

As for the Naval Amphibious forces combat patch, it is possible that the veteran was in the navy prior to joining the army and it is also possible that the man was in a special situation where he was working as an liaison to the navy in the amphibious forces. Maybe he was a naval officer who later went to the army?

The chevrons, overseas bars and hash marks in AG44 green would date the uniform as being worn as early as 1955 and then into the 1960's or even 70's. Enlisted soldiers were allowed to count all service time (officer and enlisted) for wearing their hash marks.

Allan

For future information and reference, I'd like to see that regulation. And / or hear other stories or examples of this occurring. 

3 hours ago, easterneagle87 said:

For future information and reference, I'd like to see that regulation. And / or hear other stories or examples of this occurring. 

Below is a copy of the WW2 regulation, note the braid was a different color. My impression is that was a WW1 thing, and that enlisted personnel commissioned in WW2 did not wear green cuff braid after the war. I don't have actual regulations from the '50s or '60s though.

According to William Emerson's insignia book, enlisted personnel were authorized optional purchase of the summer TW uniform (later "Army Tan") with coat in 1951. I'm pretty sure regulations for the Army Green uniform were always without braid for enlisted, no exceptions.

cuff_braid_ar.png.c8312a50576a3d98589e709fed40e0d6.png

Here's one from WWII, An unknown 5th Inf Div vet, according to the caption (it's scanned from an Osprey Men at Arms) the photo was taken in the ETO in October 1944, and this M/Sgt is going home after 30 years. He has Officers cuff bands, which is to indicate previous commissioned service. 

image.png

Well there was a large patch there before, a shield type, the 1st Cav, 2nd div or even the XVI or XX Corps, and was sewn on before the stripes where as we can see the tip of the stripes overlaps the ghosting. is there amy ghosting of a previous patch on the left shoulder and of ranks other then whats there now?

The ghosting on the right shoulder is for a shield like patch with a short peak in the center (probably 2nd ID or XVI Corps, or similar). I didn’t see any ghosting on the left shoulder or any near the rank stripes.

Since there is no ghosting under the rank stripes, it seems the SFC who may have owned this was that rank when he got the uniform.

I am curious about the “European Exchange System” tag. Apparently this designation came into existence after August 1952. I wonder if this uniform originally belonged to an officer with a shield type combat patch and the uniform then end up in the PX in Europe. This might explain the ghosting of the combat patch, as well as the multiple names in the pants and jacket.

I am also curious about the USMA patch. Does this indicate someone who worked at West Point? If so, what role would a NCO typically have there?  I wonder if there is a way to research staff at West Point from the time period.

The West Point patch is one worn by Faculty (Professors etc) as well as regular army units that might be permanently assigned to the post. It is one worn starting in 22 March 1957. There was one worn early by "Cadre" this one HERE, it was replaced by the 1957 one, the Cadets get a patch to at this time this one HERE.