Another stylized "G" applied AMICO glider pilot wing on eBay

Tonomachi

This modified glider pilot wing with a riveted on shield with stylized "G" is up for bid on eBay (see link).  It has the older AMICO shield and STERLING hallmark (see photos).  I was wondering what other collectors thought about this wing?  What I thought was strange about this wing was another that sold on eBay not too long ago with an applied stylized "G" with the same older AMICO shield and STERLING hallmarks stamped in the very same areas of the wing.  Coincidence or is someone making these wings to fool collectors?   

s-l1600 (15).jpg

s-l1600 (16).jpg

s-l1600 (17).jpg

DSCF0234.JPG

I exchanged messages with this seller about another couple of wings she has listed.  She said these wings are from the Dr. Ed Hartley collection.  Some of the wings are good and some are restrikes.  I don't know how she got this collection or if anyone knows/knew Dr. Hartley.  There are a couple of Moseley presentation wings among those she is selling.

Marty

I believe that more than a few of those wings are clinkers. The Moseley wings are nice (and timely!!!). Some of the others are fine, some not so fine, IMHO.

Thanks for this information.  I do know that applied "G" glider pilot wings did exist as I saw a couple at the Silent Wings Museum a long time ago when they were located at Terrell Texas.  However they didn't look like these and I thought what are the odds that two of these rare wings would pop up for sale utilizing the same base wing on eBay.

I remember commenting that I liked the first one.  I was watching this one but have to admit that I have been trying to research it more because it just looks odd to me.  Great catch Tonomachi!  Interesting to see two of the same wing with different modifications.  

I don't know to make of this one which sold on eBay recently.  I don't trust these modified wings.

Theater made GLider Pilot (5).jpg

Theater made GLider Pilot (6).jpg

There are definitely legitimate wings with applied letters in WWII.

The vast majority probably modified by local jewelers.

Granted many look very suspicious, but there are also many that are 100% authentic.

I heard once about an old jeweler going out of business in the 1960’s that

had a small box of letters that were used to modify wings for customers. It was being sold with all of the old stock at the time.

Each wing that is encountered with an applied letter must be individually evaluated for legitimacy and if there is any doubt, I would pass.

As for the wing currently on ebay, it is interesting, but I would want to see it in hand.

John

This is one of the instances were Cleaning / Polishing an item can completely ruin it.  Basically eliminating all the original tarnish / character on a unique piece making it impossible to tell if its good.   Making it look brand new when there are no other giveaways to its age. 😒

Another one of these attached "G" glider pilot wing has popped up for sale on eBay.  This time it is supposedly a WW2 era British made US glider pilot wing manufactured by Ludlow London.  I'm aware that there were legitimate applied "G" glider pilot wings but they have to be pretty scarce and there have just seems to be too many of these popping up for sale lately.  The one that started off this post eventually sold for $357.00 so a couple of collectors felt it was a genuine WW2 glider pilot wing.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-US-Army-AC-BRITISH-made-glider-pilot-wings-tunic-size-pin-back-Ludlow/303733738639?hash=item46b7f10c8f:g:d0MAAOSwK9lfjhrG

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

Never seen a disk on the back of a Ludlow.  I have a Ludlow glider and it looks like the one on Bob's site.  Additionally I have a Ludlow Glider badge and both the badge and the wings have raised hallmarks not stamped.  Not a fan of these.

I think Bob is on mark.  There are a relatively large number of these thinly stamped, cliched wings with a cotter pin attachment that show up here and there.

This was a nice thread about those wings:

I am not sure if they are WWII vintage, restrikes, or reproductions but can be found showing up on eBay at a regular rate.  My expectations are that they are post WWII wings that were made for reunions or things like that.  That being said, with a little fiddling, these "wings" have been used as the base for this obvious fake.  What they did was remove the cotter pins (it looks to me like you can see the "scar" just to the inside of the catch) added a fake British style catch and pin, added a fake Ludlow plate (these are nothing like real Ludlow wings), and put a "G" on them.  All intended to fool and trick collectors.  Here is a similar mucked up fake with a Gaunt plate added.

Ludlow has some characteristic pin and catch features-- which these do not.  Buyer beware.

post-7548-0-83621500-1418425774.jpg

post-7548-0-34180600-1418425767.jpg

BTW, this is what a "good" Ludlow Glider wing looks like.  The good ones usually have a very thin wire pin, and either a round "C" catch (like this one that is made up of what appears to be a "half round" wire) or a "square" off catch (cut out of a small square of metal rather than a wire--giving the catch sharp edges).  The LUDLOW LONDON hallmark is usually rather poorly excised into the back of the wing.  NEVER with a small plate attached.

On the gunner wing, you can see that the catch has square edges because that is when the small plate was cut and soldered to the wing rather than just a twisted wire while the glider wing has the half round "C" catch.

The Ludlow wings are also not cliched (meaning that they do not have a pattern on the back).  I have never seen any in sterling silver either, but that doesn't mean that Russ doesn't have 3 examples of them in his wonderful collection... LOL

3a573c190497b4b4ed4d90a1f41484f4.jpg.bee69816a76fb2892d8b8dba58e17d87.jpg

post-7548-0-96359400-1552433494_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Bell Glider wing fell short, last couple I saw, which was a few years ago went in the $600-$650 range.

Rare wing.

John

Most Bell wings are pretty common, but of the ones that are clearly "factory made" (not possibly made by other jewelers modifying Bell wings like Flight Surgeon) the Glider wing is second rarest, but generally commands the highest price.  Bell also made a mid-sized Naval Aviator wing (between 2" and 2.5") that in my opinion is the hardest to find Bell factory made wing.  I think the second pattern S and L letter wings often attributed to Bell are also fairly common, but the G in that pattern ranks up there with the other Bell G wing.

There is a Bell Balloon wing shown in the More Silver Wings book, but the balloon device has been attached to a standard Bell wing.  As it is the only one I have ever seen, I don't know what to think of it.