US Springfield Armory 1910 Bolo Variation

Fort Susquehanna

Fort Susquehanna

First, very cool with the camouflage.  Second, it is made with a clipped-point Bowie style.  Has anybody seen one of these before?  It does not appear that this was re-shaped.  The finish on the blade on the clipped point is same as the rest of the blade.  It is covered with same patina.  If it was done after manufacture, it was done a long time ago and expertly.  

DSC02153.JPG

DSC02154.JPG

DSC02155.JPG

DSC02156.JPG

Very cool to see! Thanks for posting this.

IMHO, I think we've seen so many examples of theater knives with a wide variance in quality of workmanship that it will at least be hard to rule out the skilled hands of someone in the field having done this.

My guess would be a field modification, since never have seen any evidence of  issue M1910s produced in a Bowie style blade. Glad you showed us though, interesting.  SKIP

Fort Susquehanna

It needs a clean-up, and I need to get photos of the work on the end of the knife.  I know there are varied levels of skills out there in the field where somebody could do this (I have some of them myself) but my belief is that this one was done at the factory during the manufacturing process or it was done immediately after manufacture before final finish.  The finish on the false edge looks too much like the rest of the blade, which doesn't look refinished to me.  I had a friend who was an assistant to John Garand at the Armory, and he told me about Armory employees doing all sorts of interesting side projects for officers and friends.  I am not expert enough at manufacturing to make the call on this, but I know others who are subject matter experts on these things need to look at this more closely.  

My supposition- there was some defect during manufacture, and somebody said, "Hmm, let's do this."  But that is a guess on my part.