Question Re: Regiment Reunion Badges/Medals

Hi all, 

As I've gotten further into ACW collecting I've noticed that postwar Union regiment medals are rather common however I've yet to come across any Confederate regimental medal/badges (With the exception of the occasional UDC Cross). Although I did see a medal to the Clarke Cav. on Bay State Militaria a while back. 

Is there any explanation for this disparity? Does it have to do with reconstruction era laws or am i overlooking something? 

To clarify i'm referring to unofficial regiment medals like the one pictured below. (from my collection to the 124th NY) 

IMG_1448 (1).jpg

Hi Kyle  , There are quite a few confederate regimental badges available .Confederate symbols and organizations were not allowed thru the reconstruction period (ending in 1877). There were many regimental and state veterans organizations that formed after this and were consolidated in 1889 under the U. C. V.  , United Confederate Veterans . Their members badge was a small enameled battle flag and even this took a major effort to get it approved. After this ,or during this time I’am not to sure when but some regiments and brigades such as 1st Virginia, the Rockbridge Artillery ,Mahone’s Brigade  and many others began getting badges. The rural south didn’t have the means to produce or purchase in the numbers like the Northern States so any survivors that exist today would be rare when compared to the north. The few that I’ve owned over the years were expensive and few and far between , but most civil war shows will have a good selection . Mike 

wartimecollectables.com

Add to this a couple other points.  Ecinomy: Union soldiers returned home to a North relatively unscathed with a strong economy. Rebs to a war torn countryside. Southerners had less time for reunions and such while rebuilding. Time frame: though there were sporadic reunions, the GAR formed immediately after the war and the United Confederate Veterans not until 1889. Numbers: simply put ... More Yankees, more badges... Fewer rebs, fewer badges. Lastly means of production: the North had machinery and metal badges were easily produced, the South less so and ribbons were more commonly found and these do not stand the test of time as well.

Its a pretty interesting topic,glad to see this post!

Mike and Andrew. 

Thank you both for the response, you both raise some interesting points I hadn't considered. I suppose, given the postwar state of the south reunions and medals weren't much of a priority. Seen a few regimental ribbons for sale, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for medals and badges. If either of y'all have any CS regimental badges in your collections I'd love to see them! 

It's a shame i'm up in Mass, seems like all the good CW/militaria shows are a bit further south. 

Here are some confederate badges I’ve owned over the years. Only one regimental , “Rockbridge Artillery Stonewall Brigade “.Most came from Everitt Bowles , like Andrew said I also recommend him. The badges are 1) Army of Northern Virginia 2) Kentucky Veterans Assn.  3) Rockbridge Artillery  4) Savannah Veterans Assn.  5) Maryland Army and Navy Confederate Veterans Assn. 4E66B9DC-0072-421F-9C4B-4A7329D0D4D3.jpeg.bd4eda380f0eee411c95a62dc45b66b5.jpeg92266081-89EA-4CD5-B210-B49BC88A1EBB.jpeg.072b82e8e29fc93388c5b9207274ceef.jpeg1C3EB5BF-DE43-4A4C-ACE7-F27162B0F670.jpeg.193256ac9a15545b94327213cc83016a.jpeg256D6C05-E132-43DB-BB14-52BAB6742355.jpeg.ae480224295fca5cc34bb99eaa01b482.jpegC8105C1F-B5D2-4A5E-BA44-A7BFB585CC76.jpeg.74a871e6353e33f0b99fffcf1ec206f3.jpeg

Wow Mike those are all great finds. You end up hanging on to any of them? And yep big fan of Everitt Bowles site, most of many CW insignia came from him. 

2 hours ago, wartimecollectables.com said:

I don't know, the nice Yankee badges seem to pop up in the New England area!

I you haven't visited, Ev Bowles has a great site!

http://civilwarbadges.com/default.asp

Haha I suppose that makes sense, I'll have to start poking around some more. At any rate the pickings are much better in Boston (where I go to uni) than back home in Wa. 

Hey Kyle , I traded most of those Confederate badges for a group of I.D. Disc. I might suggest if you want to check out badges ,The Mansfield Ohio Show in May or The Franklin Tennessee Show in December typically both well attended with a lot of inventory.  Best Regards.  Mike