Spanish military souvenir uniform buttons

So, I’m going to yard sales today and I spot two Spanish Collar brass from the Span Am war. I ask the man about where he found these and he said... “  I have many more in my basement” .  Of course I said, “ Well, May I look at them?” He pulls out everything you see pictured. I told him they were mostly Spanish items from the Span Am war. Then I asked where did he get so many Spanish items of this period. He said they were his great grandfather’s items that he had from his Army days. ( The seller was a Vietnam Navy Vet and in his 70s) and they were all attached to a rotted leather belt. He said he got rid of the belt because it was coming apart in pieces. Immediately I thought of the WWI period “ Hate Belts”. This is what this belt probably was, I just didn’t know that Hate Belts went back to the Span Am War. I was thrown back that you can still find items from this era in someone’s basement. 

0F3151B4-CA8F-4565-ADC9-54219DD1B993.jpeg

9EA7FD31-F2D6-4E77-B3C8-43049618591D.jpeg

A85003CC-083A-4780-9D23-1696B72DA64A.jpeg

0D5EF0AD-5564-4F78-A65F-9ABB879D9408.jpeg

A5472A7C-C9D8-42DB-8AA9-6E1D00FDD12D.jpeg

That’s a very nice grouping and interesting story. Congratulations. I was tickled to find one Spanish button from this time period at a garage sale a couple weeks ago. Don’t know what I would have done with myself with all this! 

Yes the practice of attaching Souvenir buttons and insignia to belts goes back as far as the Span Am War.  Nice little group.  Being attached to that old belt probably kept these together for so long.

Salvage Sailor

Very nice pick up.  Span Am soldiers did collect enemy buttons and items in the field.  The buttons in the center are Spanish Navy and Spanish Artillery which my Gr-Grandfather took from prisoners after the Battle of Coamo in 'Porto Rico', 1898.

It will be interesting to research and identify the Regimental buttons you've acquired.  Looks like some Belgian insignia are in the group too.

17 16th PA Mementos 2.jpg

Salvage Sailor

COLLECTING SPANISH UNIFORMS

The war ended in the defeat of Spain and the loss of her overseas possessions. The surviving Spanish soldiers were returned home as quickly as possible still dressed in their combat uniforms. The rayadillo uniform had served the Spanish soldier well. Far from being just pajamas, it was one of the earliest attempts by any nation to design a practical tropical and jungle warfare service uniform, being a contemporary of the more famous British khaki of Indian legend. Partially out of embarrassment for the defeat and partly to keep from transporting tropical diseases to Spain, a Royal Order was issued to burn all the uniforms of the returning army. Because of this order, few colonial uniforms survive in Spain today. Thankfully for collectors and historians, American soldiers, then as always, were great souvenir hunters. They returned home from the “Splendid Little War” loaded down with the spoils of their victory. It may have been just a cockade and a few buttons in the pockets of a New York Private or trunk loads of arms, swords, saddles, and uniforms in the baggage of an high ranking Ohio officer, but through their plunder they unintentionally saved the material cultural history of the last days of Spain’s 400 year long colonial empire.

From the THE SPANISH COLONIAL UNIFORM RESEARCH PROJECT

An ongoing study of the uniforms and equipment of the Army of Spain during the late colonial period and the Spanish American War 1868 - 1898.

I went back today to make sure I didn’t miss anything and found this buckle. It looks a bit crude to me, but I would think that it is a real period buckle based on the other stuff I bought.  I would bet a million bucks that there is more stuff in that house related to the Span Am war

325E96C0-BE6B-481C-86A9-B39D4AD0F634.jpeg

6267E933-B626-4B1E-B0A9-B4DE497372C7.jpeg

2 hours ago, Salvage Sailor said:

COLLECTING SPANISH UNIFORMS

The war ended in the defeat of Spain and the loss of her overseas possessions. The surviving Spanish soldiers were returned home as quickly as possible still dressed in their combat uniforms. The rayadillo uniform had served the Spanish soldier well. Far from being just pajamas, it was one of the earliest attempts by any nation to design a practical tropical and jungle warfare service uniform, being a contemporary of the more famous British khaki of Indian legend. Partially out of embarrassment for the defeat and partly to keep from transporting tropical diseases to Spain, a Royal Order was issued to burn all the uniforms of the returning army. Because of this order, few colonial uniforms survive in Spain today. Thankfully for collectors and historians, American soldiers, then as always, were great souvenir hunters. They returned home from the “Splendid Little War” loaded down with the spoils of their victory. It may have been just a cockade and a few buttons in the pockets of a New York Private or trunk loads of arms, swords, saddles, and uniforms in the baggage of an high ranking Ohio officer, but through their plunder they unintentionally saved the material cultural history of the last days of Spain’s 400 year long colonial empire.

From the THE SPANISH COLONIAL UNIFORM RESEARCH PROJECT

An ongoing study of the uniforms and equipment of the Army of Spain during the late colonial period and the Spanish American War 1868 - 1898.

That is very interesting information about the fate of a Spanish uniforms.

In 1968 I had a newspaper route in Bronxville, N.Y. 

On my first day I’m introducing myself to all my customers and telling them that I buy military items.

This one old timer asked me if I wanted a Spanish uniform.

I said sure and he got it and gave it to me.

So I ask him when was he in the Spanish Army?

His countenance changes, he gets stern and a little angry.

Talking down to me he explains that in Cuba he captured the Spaniard himself.

And that was my introduction to the Spanish American War.

Tremendous grouping of captured enemy items!!

Salvage Sailor,

What items in the pics I posted are Belgian? He had more buttons in this group. Some were Marked BMI Infantry, which I assume was from some military school and some antique NYPD uniform buttons. These buttons were not part of the belt, but they were in his house, so, they belonged to someone in his family. Maybe to the same family member who made the Hate belt??? Maybe another family member?? Either way, all the buttons were antique and dated to The 40s or earlier

Salvage Sailor

I believe the horn insignias numbered 1, 2 & 24 are Belgian pieces and perhaps the horn buttons too.

The button with the crossed pennants is a Spanish Lancers button

You may wish to post this grouping with some more detailed photos, including the backs and any hallmarks, on our sister site where it will get more exposure to the European militaria collectors who are more familiar with these items.

World Militaria Forum

Actually, the 1 and 2 badges are the Cazadors and  Batallón de Ligeros, which are Spanish units from that war. The 24 is also Spanish, but could be confused with Belgian and and French insignia of WW1. If someone has some other info that contradicts this then please post it.  Thanks, John