A Soochow Creek Display

Dirk

Posted this on the Facebook page as well. Working on a China Marine display for an future show, so I pulled these Shanghai related items together. 4 Soochow's from 32 and 37 with Col Ashurst's 32 Soochow Certifcate, dragon tipped swagger stick to a Company Commander, a large chromed picture frame to a Marine who was later taken prisoner in 1942 in the PI, several period Chinese and Japanese produced cigarette cases and silver belt buckle, a camera used on the Soochow and related creek ephemera. One unique item is a 4th Marine map w/ hand noted locations of battalion positions along a section of the creek.

IMG_9356.jpg

IMG_9355.jpg

IMG_9352.JPG

Holy cow Dirk, that is a gorgeous display! Not many collectors out there can match that collection. Thanks for sharing, especially for those of us who don't peruse Facebook much! Kevin

Thanks guys! The table size allows me to use two cases and put up two uniforms. Always a challenge to determine what each case theme shall be and hope you have enough stuff to fill it with items of interest. Right now having one for Shanghai with emphasis on the Soochow and one for Peking and Tientsin seems doable. 

Hi Dirk,

That is a wonderful display with great items! Thanks for sharing it with us. The frame is really beautiful.

Dick

Dick thank you! Although unmarked there was a company called metalcraft in Tientsin that I think was producing something similar to these in country and there was a jewelry store named Boyles and Company in Shanghai that advertised similar style frames. Photo shows a Marine Officers Quarters and his collection of silver. Note the frame on his desk and the two swagger sticks mounted on the wall.  I wonder if the two companies are connected.

IMG_6322.JPG

Thanks D and Ken! Another forum member reached out to me to acquire the frame. It's a large on indeed!

D the Rupterus family sends their regards for preserving the Hill items. Both families were very close so they are happy to see these things safe.

Thanks Kurt! This one showed up on eBay a year or two ago with some of General Ashurst’s items and was fortunate to win it. Now if I can only ID the maker of these medals I would be really happy. I keep hoping to find that one smoking gun...even Bob Gee had an original box, but sadly the box was totally unmarked., apart from the Marines name and company written in pencil on the underside.....and I am going to assume that was added by the 1Sgt responsible for that company’s distribution.

• 2 months later...