Pair of US WWII NURNBERG War Crimes Collar Insignia

linasl

Hello All.  I have an opportunity to buy at auction what are stated to be a pair of US post-WWII Nurnberg War Crime Tribunal Collar Insignias.  I do not know if these are original.  Can you please review the attached photos and let me know your thoughts?  Also,I would like to know of their rarity, as they are a bit pricey.   The description states:

Pair of US World War II NURNBERG War Crimes Trials Distinctive Collar Insignia. They measure 1 1/8” wide by 1 7/16” tall. The front shows the scales of justice in the center with an eagle at the base. The reverse side is maker marked ‘L. CHR. LAUER NURNBERG’. They have a screw mount post and brass nut on the reverse side. One piece hand painted die struck brass construction.

Thanks.  Linas

NURNBERG 1.jpg

NURNBERG 2.jpg

I agree there are a lot of fakes, I have some pictures of both fake and supposedly real ones that I am comparing them with and I think these are a fake. I will add that I know quite a bit but am not quite an "expert" on DUIs and that I have never personally handled a pair of these, you should wait until a real "expert" chimes in before making a decision but I will try to help. 

That being said the back looks all wrong to me. Several pictures I have of reproductions have the weird marbling on the back, the pics I have of real ones do not. Additionally the hallmark letters look to "fat" making me think this is a cast. Finally, the painting is sloppy, the ending of the key is not painted and the paint is sloppy with the flames. There are a few other problems I will not mention but I do not think this is a real example. I welcome someone who knows better to correct me.

TheCrustyBosun

The sloppy paint was the first flag I saw. Plus, you’d think it’d have a glossy enamel finish. No? Reminds me of some Soviet pins. 

48 minutes ago, TheCrustyBosun said:

The sloppy paint was the first flag I saw. Plus, you’d think it’d have a glossy enamel finish. No? Reminds me of some Soviet pins. 

According to the trading post they can be found both enameled and painted. 

TheCrustyBosun
19 minutes ago, Ray42 said:

According to the trading post they can be found both enameled and painted. 

Ah!  Good to know. Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...