Gold 24th Corps Badge of P. Mowers 3rd N.Y. Light Arty

skypilot6670

This is the only gold corps badge in my collection. I like it because it’s rare on several points. The 24th corps existed from Dec. 3, 1864 to Aug. 1, 1865 , just shy of 8 months , not much time to get a badge . The badge is gold and is for a light artillery unit , both seldom seen in badges. Also I grew up in central New York the men were recruited from towns I know very well. 
       Philip Mowers from Rome N.Y. was 18 when he enlisted on Jan. 4 , 1864 in Batty. M 3rd New York Light Artillery.  They served in the Dept. of Virginia and North Carolina and in April of 1864 were assigned to ,”The Army of the James” until mustered out at Richmond on June 26th 1865. 
       The Regiment was assigned to various Brigade and Division Artillery by Battery in both the 18th Corps and after Dec. 1864 the 24th Corps. Pvt Mowers would have been engaged several times in both the Carolinas and Petersburg. The Regiment suffered 191 casualties in killed , missing and wounded. This badge is very impressive , photos don’t do it justice.   
(table below from New York Military Museum website)

B7857E2E-9DD7-4BB1-8CB4-BD8220CFBF8D.jpeg.341adcb5b2a3035b49a3d1e81eeb7dd8.jpeg9FE62B59-3631-4777-BF80-8ABC5EEE44A8.jpeg.4b3a9526debcb6685fb47a2c0f6846ee.jpeg

Very nice Badge! Nice to have a rare one like that in your excellent collection. They suffered a lot of causalities in a short time!

Frank

Thanks for commenting Frank. They were a hard fighting unit , the list of battles is impressive. 
 Most of the manufacturers advertised gold as an option , but I’ve only seen very few.  Thanks again Mike

• 4 weeks later...