New Member in search of family histroy.

Captain Jeff

Captain Jeff

Greetings from the soggy, foggy PNW.

I have joined this forum in the hopes of tracking down both my late grandfather's military background, specifically to action on Attu Alaska.

My Father has just turned 86 and recently he expressed regret how little he know about his father.

Fred A. Phillips (fathers father) was a captain in the Merchant marines when his ship went down off the coast of Iceland when my father was in his early teens.

I do not know his rank when he was on Attu.

As he was divorced from my fathers mother, Captain Phillips lived at sea most of his life so little interaction went on between boy and father.

It turns out my mother's father (Raymond Stubbs) was in the Military Sea Transport division on Attu as well.

I do not know his rank when he was on Attu.

I would like to find out what I can about both of these men for my parents by Christmas of this year.

Any suggestions on where/how/who to search would be very much appreciated.

Following in a family tradition I served in the USCG and last year attained my 100t captains license off a vessel of my own.

Semper Paratus...

Jeff.

huntssurplus

Hey Jeff,

I have a relative that was at Attu as well, he was a combat engineer. I would recommend posting in the "Individual and Unit Research" Section on the forum, here is a link: https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/forum/88-individual-and-unit-research/

Good luck on your search and welcome to forum!
Hunt

Captain Jeff

Ahoy Boats!

Where did you do your duty?

I was at Alameda for the first duty, then the 82 foot patrol boat Point Glass out of Gig Harbor and finally West Point Lighthouse, was part of the crew that decommissioned it and made it automated.

Regards,

Jeff

USCG - Pt. Glass Patrol Boat.jpg

West Point Lighthouse.png

TheCrustyBosun

Air STA Corpus Christi

Group ATON Facility Corpus 

CGC Eagle

CG Academy Sailing and Seamanship Branch (Waterfront)

PSU 307

CGC Eagle

Sta New London

I wanted an 82 really bad but came too late for them. Last ones I saw in service were Lobos, Highland, and Bataan. Spent time underway on the Baker in high school. My friend’s dad was the XPO.