American Lafrance Fire Extinguisher

cutiger83

This is an American LaFrance Fire Extinguisher. The data plate has Model 100-S Series 4. There is also a number L-560612. We believe this was used at airports. We cannot find a date on the fire extinguisher. I have been searching online to try to find pictures of this extinguisher to use for restoration and historical purposes. I can't even find what year this was made. 

Have any of you ever seen pictures of this or know the history? 

Thank you in advance for any assistance, Kat

Fire Ext Front.JPG

TheCrustyBosun

Wheeled units are typically used industrial settings. Could certainly have been used at an airport. It’s a CO2 (carbon dioxide) extinguisher as indicated by the horn/handle, cylinders, and plumbing. There may be test dates on the cylinders as they must be periodically tested. I don’t know what the testing requirements were for that time period. American LaFrance was a huge name in American fire apparatus and equipment for over 100 years. Sadly, they’re gone after a few reincarnations under other brands. I don’t know who maintains their archives anymore, but I’d start with the North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire museum in South Carolina. 

3 minutes ago, TheCrustyBosun said:

Wheeled units are typically used industrial settings. Could certainly have been used at an airport. It’s a CO2 (carbon dioxide) extinguisher as indicated by the horn/handle, cylinders, and plumbing. There may be test dates on the cylinders as they must be periodically tested. I don’t know what the testing requirements were for that time period. American LaFrance was a huge name in American fire apparatus and equipment for over 100 years. Sadly, they’re gone after a few reincarnations under other brands. I don’t know who maintains their archives anymore, but I’d start with the North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire museum in South Carolina. 

Thank you so much for your help. I did contact the museum in Charleston. They said they are currently only going to the museum for administrative purposes but will look for us the next time they are in the museum. 

So you think this may not have been used at airports? Interesting. I am hoping to find more information and would love to find a picture of one of these in use.

I will look closer on the cylinders tonight to see if I can find a date. 

Thank you again, Kat

5 minutes ago, 72psb said:

Kat,

Try and contact the "Hall of Flame" museum in AZ.  [email protected]  (602-275-3473)

They may be able to ID and confirm age of your extinquisher.

Good luck,

Bob

Bob,

Awesome! Thank you so much for the email address. I will contact them today. 

...Kat

TheCrustyBosun

Hall of Flame is a good one too! 

Wheeled extinguishers are used in a very wide variety of industrial and manufacturing settings and have been for many years. You can’t walk far at a refinery without seeing one. A CO2 unit would be right at home at an airport as would a foam unit. Wheeled extinguisher units are still in use at airports today. 

TheCrustyBosun

Inspection dates would be hand-punched and may be difficult to identify depending on how many layers of paint have been applied over the years or surface corrosion.  I’d start around the neck of the bottles. 

As was said earlier, There should be hydrostatic test dates around the neck of the cylinders. Look for the oldest date. Steel bottles usually were tested every 5 years. I have seen bottles date back to 1918. 

Chris

13 minutes ago, TheCrustyBosun said:

Inspection dates would be hand-punched and may be difficult to identify depending on how many layers of paint have been applied over the years or surface corrosion.  I’d start around the neck of the bottles. 

Thank. I well look tonight. I also emailed Hall of Flame. I will let y'all know tomorrow.

..Kat

On 10/8/2020 at 2:05 PM, TheCrustyBosun said:

CrustyBosun,

Thanks so much for your help. Around the neck of the tanks I found 5-47 which I assume is the date you are talking about. So does this mean the tank was made in 1947 or 1942 with the inspection being 5 years later?

I also found this around the top:

JAN-E-468

SPUN 8C65M

ICC3A1800. RE-1069. ALFCO

I looked close at the data plate and found: Carbon Dioxide Fire Extinguisher on Wheels  Classification 20-BC. L-560612

Thanks again, Kat

TheCrustyBosun

Kat, 

I can’t say for sure, but it is certainly possible that the bottles were manufactured earlier than the date you found. The hardware is consistent with equipment of that timeframe. The “L” number on the data plate is most likely the registry number. I have owned several fire trucks including an American LaFrance and it’s registry (serial) number began with an L, if I remember correctly. I would look it over to see if you can find anymore date stamps. If that’s it, I don’t think you’d catch any grief for saying it was likely manufactured 1942. 

3 hours ago, TheCrustyBosun said:

By the way, what are you looking to do with it?

Thank you so much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

We are planning on restoring it for a static display at our hangar. This is why I was hoping to find a picture of it so we know how it should look.

I did hear back from The Hall of Flame. They are going to try to help research this a little more so I sent them some pictures.

P.S. Very cool that you have owned firetrucks!

Thanks again, Kat