1930's US Air Corps Aircraft Instrument

Fort Susquehanna

Fort Susquehanna

AC US Army B-5 centigrade temperature gauge.  I believe the 30-prefix makes it a 1930 fiscal year gauge, but don't know for sure.  It makes sense as this appears to be of the typical 1920's-era gauges.  There were only 421 aircraft procured by the Air Corps in 1930, some of which were transferred to other services.  

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_serials/1930.html

DSC02293.JPG

DSC02294.JPG

DSC02295.JPG

Nice instrument!!

Are you saying the order number on the instrument is tied to a particular aircraft with a corresponding serial number?

Fort Susquehanna

What I am speculating (key word) is that the order number begins with 30 because it was contracted in fiscal year 1930.  WWII instrument orders are done with AC or AF and two digit fiscal year for contract number prefixes, and this may have grown out of the practices in the 1930's.  But I don't know for sure.  1930 Air Corps aircraft registration numbers ran from 30-1 to 30-421.  

Susquehanna, You are correct, the 30- is the year the order was placed. It may have been delivered in 1931. It has nothing to do with the tail number of the aircraft.

On 10/10/2020 at 12:25 AM, Fort Susquehanna said:

What I am speculating (key word) is that the order number begins with 30 because it was contracted in fiscal year 1930.  WWII instrument orders are done with AC or AF and two digit fiscal year for contract number prefixes, and this may have grown out of the practices in the 1930's.  But I don't know for sure.  1930 Air Corps aircraft registration numbers ran from 30-1 to 30-421.  

Ok I understand now. Thank you for the explanation.  Nice looking instrument. 

Chris