Unusual Velvet 101st Airborne

minesweeper

I bought what was listed as a “repro ww2 velvet” patch.  It’s not WW2, but it is some of the nicest embroidery I’ve seen, particularly in the feathers and eye.  One piece velvet, chain-stitched border and cheesecloth backed.  The guys on another Vietnam board loved it, but nobody there or the USMF FB page has a guess on where it was made.  Any input appreciated, I haven’t seen another like it.

D155CEE4-6E83-4362-A124-048FCE0345BF.jpeg

635EFD94-A591-48C8-80ED-9EEA15A8F903.jpeg

EA24A784-B4C4-4D29-96AC-13DAD4639528.jpeg

ASMIC members already know all about the "velvet" 101st Airborne patch because there have previously been articles about similar patches in The Trading Post.  These were presumably made in 1970's and were made with some excellent embroidery.  However, as you can see by the photo of the little package of "patches" that includes a 15th MP Bde replica, they could not have been made before then.  

The material is not true velvet, but a cheaper look-alike for velvet.  I have seen a few of these packaged patches sold individually - specifically the 1st Cav, SHAEF. 1st Infantry Div and the 101st Airborne  I acquired the 101st patch from this series back in a Virginia trade show.  One dealer had several of them for sale.

These are not repros as we usually think of repros.  They are probably best described as "replicas" sold as souvenirs.  They should be very collectible in their own right.

Fake patches sold in the 1970s.jpg

Velour fake 101 AB patch from 1970s.jpg