PAL M1 Bowie tip. Anyone ever seen one?

hyrax222

I have been on the trail of an M1 (cut-down M1905) Bowie point made by PAL.

Have any of you seen one? Or am I chasing a chimera?

hyrax

Are you looking for a M1905 bayonet cut down to a bowie point by PAL or are you looking for a PAL M1905 cut down into a bowie point?

I seek a M1905, PAL made and dated 1942 or 1943, that has been shortened to an M1 with bowie style point (by any of the usual contractor/manufacturers).  No "field" or self altered wanted.

I'll be more clear in the future....

Thanks for your interest,

hyrax222

In that case just keep looking.  When the shortening first occurred, the bayonets were cut down into spear points, but as time went on, several manufacturers found that the bowie point was stronger (the spear point was in the fuller while the bowie point was in the upper part of the steel).  I don't thing anyone knows how many were cut down into spear point versus bowie point.  Anecdotally, it does appear that when PAL cut down the M1905s they used the spear point.

thorin6-

Thank you for your input! I have been searching for this one (PAL Bowie point) for years. I have many books (Gary Cunningham, Brophy, Silvey, etc.) and other reference materials. However, when entering the "transitional" zone, beware! There are more "type" possibilities or  variations within a type than any other US bayonet I have studied!

I have my own "data" or records to fill in the gaps...

hyrax222