WW2 Painted Helmet ID

TCSchultz

My friend turned up this fixed bail M-1 MCord Helmet with a odd painted yellow logo on the front that came with a liner that is ID'd to a Navy Ship.  Not sure if they came together so it's possible that they are unrelated but figured I'd post them both to see if it can help with the ID of the helmet.  The ship was the ATR-61 which was a Navy Repair Tug in the Pacific.  The helmet has what appears to be a J and D or P combined into a monogram with an upside down 8 to the back.  Any ideas or better identification of this mark would be most appreciated. 

Todd's Helmet 1.JPG

Todd's Helmet 2.JPG

Todd's Helmet Liner.JPG

2 hours ago, Cap Camouflage Pattern I said:

great work aznation! great helmet too

4 hours ago, MattS said:

I think that pretty well nails down the ID on the liner.

Thanks Cap Camouflage Pattern I and MattS.  I'm not going to be of much help on the helmet with the J D P or S markings on the helmet.  Maybe someone else will be able to figure that one out.

Nice helmet TCShultz ........ And great slueth job on the liner Matt !!

From what Ive learned from Navy vets here on the forum, Sailors leave ships but Helmets dont.

The next user of the helmet on that ship may have had the initials JD and he adopted

Tex's helmet when he got on board ??? And Put his initials on it ?

Dont know how long that ship was in service but,

I'l bet some crew list on that ship has a Man with the initials JD.

Does not look like a P to me. Looks like JD.

My two cents....

Cool Helmet! Congrats !!

Thanks for doing the liner ID as well and it's possible that it was together with shell as the big J would match his given name.  I suspect that the second letter is someone else's name so it's probable that this is someone else that was on the ship or on another one although. Just wondering if the monogram meant something else altogether and if someone does come up with an ID that would be great too.  

I went through all the Navy Muster Rolls for ATR-61 from 1944 through 1946 and there are some possibles for the initials J D.

These first two are from 1944 and both served aboard ship at the same time as Jesse C. Willis.  I'm thinking maybe the helmet might have been used by one of these two but can't be 100% sure.  Either one or both could've gone by their middle name while aboard ship.

Andrew John Durick (BM2c) Boatswain's Mate 2nd Class

Thomas John Dowling (CBM) Chief Boatswain's Mate

This next possible served during 1946 but not at the same time as Jesse.

James R. Druaux (MM2c) Machinist's Mate 2nd Class

That's it for anyone with the possible initials of J D.

Fantastic job finding those three Men Matt !!!

I'l guess its the Last JD to join the ship after Tex Left. Possibly one or both of the two JDs who served with Tex had also left and the last JD came aboard and found a helmet with JD on it already and maybe he paired it with a better liner which happened to be Tex's old liner. Or he got Tex's Old helmet and Painted JD on it ?

?????? JD would have to one of those 3. I'm thinking it was the last JD to Board.

James R Druaux

Of course I dont know.... but thats my guess

Im curious as to what everyone thinks about JD being James. R. Druaux.

He arrived on board after Tex left and I think he could have adopted Tex's vacant helmet and marked the JD on the front.

We wont ever know but with the 3 people with the initials JD on that ship who Matt found on the crew rosters and the fact that the last JD arrived

after Tex departed, logically this is prob the scenario .. ?

Thoughts ?

• 1 month later...

I was able to buy this helmet from my friend and the first thing I noticed that I had missed before is that Tex's nickname was on the shell as well.  Looking back at the first picture I took it was there but I didn't see it in the daylight but it's there for sure when lit up.  Here's a couple of pictures that show it better.  I'm thinking since his name is in the liner and on the shell it's likely that they were together onboard the ship but as to when the yellow paint was applied I have no idea if before or after he used it.  

Tex Helmet 1.JPG

Tex Helmet 2.JPG

The shell appears to be heatstamped 722B which would put it @ November of 1943 and I've pictured the bail and the rusty chinstrap as well.  The liner is an Inland 45 and I've tried to show that too.   I also agree with the numeral being an 8 as it looks correct when you hang it vertically as on a ship rack.  Cool Navy helmet ID'd to both ship and sailor. 

Buckle.JPG

Bale.JPG

Liner.JPG

Heat.JPG