1977 Navy and Marine Corps Medal Group; ID Help

Kadet

I recently picked up a small NMCM group to the man on the citation. I can't find anything about him though. The group includes the document, medal, ribbon, lapel pin and a diving officer pin (probably a big clue). I thought the Navy collectors might have an insight.....

Smart NMCM Doc.jpeg

Didn't the seller say he knew why/how the award was earned? I almost bought the group because he initially said the medal was named, but when asked for a photo of the engraving, he said it wasn't. 

It's a pretty cool group...I decided to pass after finding out the medal wasn't engraved, but I hoped he'd at least pass on the reason the medal was awarded. NMCMs are pretty rare, so this definitely piqued my interest, for sure. 

No, he later changed the description to say he did not know. I think he made a typo in his first version of the description. Yes it piqued my interest too.  Navy divers did some interesting things in the 1970s and there might be a good story behind it. 

Ugh...what a PITA. I'm sorry about that. I thought this medal had a huge amount of potential. It still does...just a bit more of an uphill excursion...

I find it interesting that the medal citation is 1977 dated, as I was able to find an Alexander Maxwell "Max" Smart as serving as an agent for CONTROL in 1965. It appears that Agent Smart was a top-secret government agent. Although he was considered to be "absurdly clumsy," he was noted for being resourceful, skilled in hand-to-hand combat, a proficient marksman, and incredibly lucky. It appears that Agent Smart was one of the top agents at CONTROL.

If this isn't your guy Andy, I guess I just "missed it by THAT much."

Allan