WW1 7th Engineers Mess Sergeant Uniform

Radio Operator

Radio Operator

Hello everyone, I got this uniform a little more than a year ago unfortunately it did not come with pants, but the jacket is in good shape and the insignia on it as well as the information I was able to find out about it make pretty interesting. Using the the collar disks which tells us he was in company B of the 7th engineers and his rank patch I was able to find an old website that had a scanned page from the regiment history which showed the Mess Sergeants name is "Christian A. Flaig". His name didn't turn anything else up at the time, but a few days ago after looking it up again I was able to find another page from the regiment history that shows a copy of a citation he received for distinguished conduct in action and an "Army and Navy" Journal which sadly announced his death in 1920 shortly after he was discharged due to a "disease of the heart" (I'm guessing Spanish flu). I'm also guessing he was in the Army before WW1 due to how that article is worded and because there is a few army records from the 1910s that his name is in but I can't view them due to a pay wall. I really like the 5th infantry patch with the 3rd army patch inside of it, I've seen a few uniforms on here with that and if I'm not mistaken it means he did some occupation duty before coming home. 

IMG_6337 (2).jpg

IMG_6338 (2).JPG

IMG_6341 (2).JPG

IMG_6342 (2).JPG

IMG_6343 (2).JPG

7th engineers B.jpg

Christian A Flaig citation.png

Christian A Flaig death.png

Military_Curator

Very nice! I have a 19 letter group from a captain from E Company, 7th Engineers! 

Parks

Radio Operator
17 hours ago, Military_Curator said:

Very nice! I have a 19 letter group from a captain from E Company, 7th Engineers! 

Parks

That's really cool! Have you ever posted them before? 

Military_Curator
21 hours ago, Radio Operator said:

That's really cool! Have you ever posted them before? 

I have not. The cursive is horrific haha! It's legible for those who know how to read it though I believe. He did write one on Armistice Day which I had "translated."

BILL THE PATCH

You should really try and post some, a lot of us old timers still remember cursive , especially the ones that had nuns teaching it. [emoji38]

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Bill... you still have fingers? .... Sister Mary Rose didn’t break your knuckles with her ruler! 😀

Seriously, yes, post them if you can.  I’m pretty decent in deciphering old hand writing.

I am also an old student from St. Thomas Aquinas grammar school in Brooklyn.

Military_Curator
2 hours ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

You should really try and post some, a lot of us old timers still remember cursive , especially the ones that had nuns teaching it. emoji38.png

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Just now, digi-shots said:

Bill... you still have fingers? .... Sister Mary Rose didn’t break your knuckles with her ruler! 😀

Seriously, yes, post them if you can.  I’m pretty decent in deciphering old hand writing.

Alright, alright! You guys win hahaha! I'll post them in the ephemera section in a minute. 

Military_Curator

Here is the link. I misspoke when saying he was in the 7th Engineers. He was with the 5th Engineers, who were assigned to the 7th Division. Right number, wrong level of organization! My apologies about that.

Parks