Honorable Artillery Company, War with Mexico, San Francisco Vigilance Committee, Eureka Light Horse, 11th Massachusetts Volunteer Regiment

First Lieutenant Alonzo Coy was born in New Hampshire in 1815. He owned, with his brother, the H.C. & A. Coy Trucking Establishment, 32 South Market Street, Boston, Massachusetts which they sold in February, 1843. Coy was elected Captain of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts in 1844. Also known as the Washington Light Guard it is the oldest chartered military company in North America. He served in the War with Mexico with the First Massachusetts Regiment. The regiment remained in rear-area garrison duty through most of the war, finally arriving in Mexico City after the fighting had ended. Coy then traveled west to take part in the California Gold Rush. He was a charter member of the San Francisco Committee of Vigilance formed in 1851. The Committee was formed in response to rampant crime and corruption in the municipal government of San Francisco, California.  The Vigilance Committee was one of the most successful organizations in the vigilante tradition of the American old west. A secret number was given to each of the members of the committee as a countersign which was used to gain admission to the meetings. Coy was number 382. He was elected Captain of the San Francisco Eureka Light Horse Guard in 1853. The Eureka Light Horse Guard was organized on June 26, 1852 in San Francisco.  At the first election, Alonzo Coy was elected Captain. Their first public appearance was at the celebration of Independence Day 1852. Although a newly organized unit, the corps made a striking appearance dressed in their new uniforms and mounted on splendid horses. Coy returned to Suffolk, Massachusetts, and established a catering business with his wife Emeline. At the outbreak of the Civil War Coy was appointed First Lieutenant and Quartermaster in the 11th Massachusetts Volunteer Regiment.

First Lieutenant Alonzo Coy shot himself through the brain at these headquarters on September 20, 1862. A few days since his business led him to Washington D.C., where, while riding upon one of the street cars he had stolen from his pocket, promissory notes to the amount of nearly $1,000. Since which time he had appeared unusually depressed. Yesterday he was quite ill, and his illness, together with his loss, doubtless overruled his customary firmness, and to some degree unsettled his mind. About noon, Major Tripp of the Eleventh Massachusetts passed the door of his tent and entered a house standing near, the deceased saluting and speaking in a cheerful tone as he passed. Immediately afterward Major Tripp heard the report of a pistol, the Major rushed into the tent and found his friend lying with the blood flowing from both temples. The pistol, a heavy revolver, lay upon the floor, having fallen from his grasp. He was, probably, one of the most efficient Quartermasters in the army, and his death has cast a gloom upon the spirits of all who knew him..” – New York Times, September 26, 1862.

First Lieutenant Alonzo Coy's photograph and story was part of an exhibit at The National Museum of Civil War Medicine.

entire-group-on-bluestone.jpg

watch-anf-fob-cut-out.jpg

cutout-fob-both-sides.jpg

portrait-sized.jpg

gold-medal.jpg

National-Civil-War-Medical-Museum-Alonzo-Coy.jpg

Washington-Guards-engraving.jpg

sword-and-knot.jpg

skypilot6670

Very seldom have I heard about suicides in in the civil war . Seems so sad . The 11th was heavily engaged at Second Bull Run one month prior to his suicide. 
     That’s is a nice looking group. Covers a lot of great history. Thanks for posting. Mike

wartimecollectables.com

The embodiment of history. Simply put, one of the finest groupings I have seen. Thank you for allowing us to see it.

Alonzo Coy's wife of twenty years died in April of 1862. I imagine that he may have been severely depressed over the loss of his wife when he had the $1000.00 stolen. A $1000.00 was worth $32,000.00 today. A lot of money which must have been the tipping point.

Beautiful grouping, interesting history with a tragic ending. Was there any mention of he and his wife having children? Thanks for this thread.

Frank

Great group but that's one sad  story. Interesting that the NY Times story did not mention his wife's death... but perhaps they were just not aware of it. I love that sword but the photo is the the best.

skypilot6670

I just realized the watch fob is his Vigilance Committees  Members  Badge , and its bezel is his Odd Fellows Lodge. That must be an exceptionally rare and early badge. 

• 1 month later...

That is a great grouping with a very interesting history. I can add a couple of minor points. The Washington Light Guard and the Ancient and Honorable Artillery were separate organizations and you could be in the AHAC and another militia unit at the same time and the AHAC was elite enough that you might be an officer in the other unit, but only be a private or NCO in the AHAC. Coy joined the AHAC in 1844, but was not a Captain in it, though he was captain of the WLG at the time and for some time thereafter. Also, he does not seem to have been in the 1st Mas Vols in the Mexican War. He seems to have advertised to recruit a "First Company of Massachusetts Volunteers," but this seems to have been a different and apparently unsuccessful group. He is not in Heitman among volunteer officers in the Mexican War. There is a Charles Coy in the 1st Mass as a 2nd lt, but he died in 1900 and was a member of Beck Post 56 G.A.R. in Cambridge, Mass., having served in the Civil War after three months service in a Mass unattached company. None of this is to detract from this grouping that really brings home price that so many paid in the Civil War in so many ways. I see in the muster rolls that he was "present" throughout his service and thus did not get home to see his wire or even attend her funeral. The 1860 census shows him and his wife with what appear to be six children, five of whom were working in the restaurant or bar business with him. As Kanemono says, her death must have been a blow and the loss of the $1,000 for which he might have been held personally responsible, or at least would have to face inquiries about, must have put him over the edge.

I should have added that I am unsure whether the money lost was his own or related to his new post as brigade QM. The newspaper account says he was led to Washington by "his business," which I took to mean the business aspects of being Quartermaster.

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the information on Lt. Coy. I got his records from the National Archives and there was information on the service in the Mexican War. However I can't remember what that was. I have the records on all of my groups and they are buried in a closet. The money was from being Quartermaster. I have several different accounts including letters from his file regarding the investigation of his death. He was offered the rank of Captain but turned it down.

Dick