US Navy Flight Deck Officer Jersey- USS Lexington AVT-16

TheCrustyBosun

TheCrustyBosun

I worked for the USS Lexington Museum on the Bay in Corpus Christi, Texas for three years while also stationed at USCG Group/Air Station Corpus Christi. I worked as a docent, tour guide, and as a counselor for the overnight youth encampment program. I became quite familiar with the ship and was able to explore most of the ship’s spaces not open for public viewing. I was also an extra in a very cringeworthy movie, Pearl Harbor. I was a sailor for a few days and then one of the Doolittle Raid crewmen. I wish I could have kept my wardrobe. 

I found this jersey in a beat up cardboard box on a shelf in one of the aviation storerooms on the gallery deck one day and was allowed to keep it as we already had several on display. 

The Lex served from 1943 to 1991 and is arguably the longest serving US carrier. The folks from the USS Midway like to argue about it. Anyway, she finished out her career classified as an “auxiliary vessel training”. A few generations of pilots got their first carrier traps and cat shots on Lady Lex’s flight deck. I would assume that this jersey was left over from her days as a training carrier at Pensacola. Her crew was whittled away over the years and unoccupied areas of the ship were abundant. We found huge amounts of personal items, equipment, and uniforms in berthing areas and lockers left by departing crewmembers. The laundry was a treasure trove of buttons and insignia as I remember. 

Any way, here it is. 

6F5E387B-E39D-46D2-8DD9-96125F831A5A.jpeg

DD24F04C-35B1-4C9C-9DA6-B8337423D7FD.jpeg

5A7CBC9A-E2AE-4EED-9A48-BBC3E48C2AFD.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
TheCrustyBosun
27 minutes ago, hink441 said:

Really nice. You might be able to track down a name for the original owner of that jersey. “L -2555” is the laundry number. 

Chris

Thanks, Chris. I have no idea how to track laundry numbers though. Know anyone who could help?  Thanks. 

Just now, TheCrustyBosun said:

Thanks, Chris. I have no idea how to track laundry numbers though. Know anyone who could help?  Thanks. 

What is above the laundry number? Looks like a nickname maybe?  Is it possibly Loob ?

Modern era laundry numbers are the initial of the last name and the last four of the social security number. 

Probably won’t be able to find the name. I was going to suggest the cruise book website but the Lexington as an AVT did not make cruises. 

Chris

TheCrustyBosun
2 hours ago, hink441 said:

What is above the laundry number? Looks like a nickname maybe?  Is it possibly Loob ?

Modern era laundry numbers are the initial of the last name and the last four of the social security number. 

Probably won’t be able to find the name. I was going to suggest the cruise book website but the Lexington as an AVT did not make cruises. 

Chris

Yeah. I was thinking the same thing. It would be interesting to find out, but I’m happy with it none the less.