EARLY 1917 (1st Type) USN Aviator Wing Badge

John Cooper

Interesting - looks similar to the one that the pdf says was never issued... so a private purchase wing that was never supposed to be.

Interesting - looks similar to the one that the pdf says was never issued... so a private purchase wing that was never supposed to be.

thumbsup.gif

What a great picture John. Thanks to RAL's sharp eyes it would appear you have reasonable proof the unusual looking wing badge seen in the article.pdf, although never officially approved, was available via the commercial market after all.

post-4542-1232526751.jpg

post-4542-1232526778.jpg

thumbsup.gif

What a great picture John. Thanks to RAL's sharp eyes it would appear you have reasonable proof the unusual looking wing badge seen in the article.pdf, although never officially approved, was available via the commercial market after all.

OF COURSE NOT, if it's not official and Regulation IT HAS TO BE FAKE :wacko: , so is the dog... sorry couldn't help myself there, I always love proof of the unusual like this!

Great find!

Paul

I have always found that particular document to be questionable in some of its facts that they state.

;)

NEXT TO THE ARTIST RENDITION OF THE UNUSUAL LOOKING WING BADGE SEEN AT THE BOTTOM OF PAGE TWO IN THE PDF IS A STATEMENT CLAIMING IT WAS NEVER ISSUED; however, it was authorized for a brief period of time and there is proof:

On 7 September 1917 when Change 12 was added to Uniform Regulations #10 it read as follows:

Change 12, dated 7 September 1917 to the 1913 Uniform Regulations of the U.S. Navy, revised to 1917: A naval aviator’s device, a winged foul anchor with the letters “U.S.,” is hereby adopted to be worn by qualified naval aviators. This device will be issued by the Bureau of Navigation to officers and men of the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps who qualify as naval aviators and will be worn on the left breast. That is proof the badge was authorized, but five weeks later a Change 14 was added, dated 5 October 1917, which modified Change 12 to read, “but the letters ‘U.S.’ have been omitted.”

So there you have it folks, even though it was only for a brief period of time, between 7 September 1917 and 5 October 1917 a naval wing badge with the letters “U.S.” above an anchor was authorized.

WANT MORE PROOF THAT EXAMPLES OF THE BADGE WERE REALLY MADE?

In the photos below is a naval aviator badge somewhat similar to the one in John Cooper's photo. The only difference is that this one was made in England for 15 naval aviators who had volunteered to go to there in the fall of 1917 for training as dirigible pilots. In addition to these photos, if you have the two volume set of books, “New England Aviators 1914 – 1918,” you will find in Volume Two on pages 283, 289 and 431 more photographs of naval aviators wearing this same style badge.

Cheers,

:)

post-4542-1232577885.jpg

post-4542-1232578216.jpg

I have an article written by Duncan Campbell showing this (or a similar) uniform and some photos of the original 15 on the boat over wearing the wing. I was trying to find it, but you beat me to it, Cliff. thumbsup.gif

As I have said, parts of that USN naval history document I find hard to accept, especially the part about the silver USN pilot wings being authorized for the USN observer in the 1920's. I wonder if it was a mistake or misstatement.

Patrick

I just have to chime in and say awesome pictures and awesome badge. Now there is a rare badge. I love Naval wings and I've never even seen the photos of these before. All I've seen is the drawing from the Navy article. Amazing stuff.

Thanks for the assist all! Maybe the next time someone writes a book or updates one they can include this photo. I would be happy to share for all to learn.

Never say never!

John

John,

After seeing your photo it certainly appears to be the 1st Type Naval Aviator's Wing as already confirmed by very knowledgable wing guys on the forum. I am including photos of the original Bureau of Navigation, Navy Dept. circulars , No. 12 (1913) - printed in 1917 & No. 14 dated Oct. 12, 1917 that are in my collection to back up what has already been provided.

Best, Dennis

post-3422-1232634032.jpg

post-3422-1232634067.jpg

Dennis thanks for posting photo's of this great information! The photo combined with the documentation you and Cliff have provided is excellent.

Does anyone know who designed the wing and what maker or makers produced them?

John