Scary WW2 487th Fighter Sq

mortaydc60

Noticed this for sale on Ebay along with several other WW2 squadron patches that are to me questionable and just wanted to alert the forum. Would like others to give opinion.

s-l1600-29.jpg

s-l1600-28.jpg

I don't believe the patch in Post #1 is an original WWII insignia.

Two theater-made originals are posted here.

The embroidery does not look English to me. The irregular border also is a tell. Originals exist both with a one-color lower lightning tip and two-color. It is not known if the two-color variety has any significance, such as second tour, etc.

spacer.png

All of the original WWII patches I have seen have the characteristic black coating the entire reverse of the patch, including the embroidery.

spacer.png

Thanks Rick for your insight. I wanted to alert the forum to this item and others that this seller has on ebay that are pretty good reproductions that could easily fool the less experienced collector. Good call on the irregular border but also background color is incorrect and some other detail that I am affraid to mention in the design that is not correct so that the fakers do not make correction. Realze this is debateable but there are enough tells here without disclosing everything. One of my concerns is the cheesecloth backing which I think can fool alot of people and if Rick did not mention that they usually have the black characteristic coating how would you know otherwise. Seller has about 4 or 5 others for sale so watch out.