Need some help! Early war shelter

2ndiddogface

Was wondering what a complete early war tent was worth. Both sides have the same MFG as do both of the collapsing tent poles (different than the canvas). Everything is dated 1941. The canvas has a rich OD#3 coloring with a few, small, period repairs. Any idea what it would be worth? I got it in trade with some other GI stuff. I know what early individual sides go for but have no clue what a complete pretty much matching tent would go for. It also has 8 pegs and both guy lines.

Please help!

Thanks,

Dogface

Was wondering what a complete early war tent was worth. Both sides have the same MFG as do both of the collapsing tent poles (different than the canvas). Everything is dated 1941. The canvas has a rich OD#3 coloring with a few, small, period repairs. Any idea what it would be worth? I got it in trade with some other GI stuff. I know what early individual sides go for but have no clue what a complete pretty much matching tent would go for. It also has 8 pegs and both guy lines.

Please help!

Thanks,

Dogface

I've sold a couple of 1942 tents in the last year or so and spent a lot of time looking at real world selling prices: on ebay, at least, they just don't seem to go for much more than $50 (or less) a half, whether being sold as one half or both together with pegs and poles. Since the shelter halves were carried by individuals, the odds of two tent mates each having the exact same canvas and pole were slim, so it seems to me the appeal of a matched set would be to someone who is a bit anal, prefers all their "khaki" gear to be mint and of the same shade and doesn't care that in the real world such things did not happen. But, that kind of person will usually pay a nice premium to satisfy their desires so if I sold this on ebay I would hype up the "matched set" angle. I don't know that 1941 will command a premium over a more common 1942 tent since either of them is suitable for most early war impressions. Ironically, the companies that make reproduction shelter halves for re-enactors charge more than it costs to buy the real thing on ebay.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I thought that it might be worth a lot since I've seen a few places sell one side for $99. My crazy friend thinks that it is worth $800!!! I think he is way off.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I thought that it might be worth a lot since I've seen a few places sell one side for $99. My crazy friend thinks that it is worth $800!!! I think he is way off.

Yeah I could see the "right" person paying $200 or so for it, and if it was the pre-WWII USMC contract tent halves, much, much more.

Greg Robinson

If the set has a pair of the pre WW2 folding tent poles (the early type with brass hardware) those alone are worth about $40-$50 each depending on condition.