Modern issued (99 contract Avirex) A2 with unit painting (nose art) on back - 132nd air refuelling sqdn

Erikscollectables

Erikscollectables

The painting was done at Pop’s leather (Incirlik Air Base Turkey) in 2005 can be read on the back.

Air National Guard badge with velcro backing also seems to be custom made.

Were these types of paintings actually worn in “action”?

Or is this just for off duty use?

Have not come across another painted one yet. Any pics around of similar ones being worn?

Thanks for your help and info in advance.

4AE19E0D-CEA7-46A7-9B7A-419304FF0103.jpeg

8641EFB7-47C1-40C1-8F02-D846DAF10359.jpeg

DEAC1AFD-BBCC-4E09-A879-62CA5C07F15A.jpeg

B331A807-7E13-4CAD-90DE-28B9E7E32FD9.jpeg

Old Crow 1986

1) "Were these types of paintings actually worn in “action”?" 

- No, the example above is the only painted, modern, A-2 I have seen in nearly 35 years.  That is, since the A-2 was reintroduced in 1987-88. It is an unauthorized embellishment and goes well beyond any reasonable allowance of promoting unit esprit de corps.

- Also, it may surprise some to know that the modern A-2 is not authorized for wear when performing "...flight duties.."  This is because as a animal hide (skin) the A-2 has no fire resistant properties.   It is plain foolish to wear an A-2 in flight because the wearer would be cloaking their flame resistant flight uniform with a flammable jacket.

(see AFI 36-2903 "A6.5.2. Leather A-2 Flying Jacket. The Leather A-2 Flying Jacket is authorized for ground wear only unless prohibited by MAJCOM supplement.")

2) "or is this just for off duty use?"

- Likely.  I cannot imagine any command allowing such an obvious embellishment of a duty uniform.

Looks like it was painted in Incirlik Turkey. 

The Navy would fly in their Leather jackets. When I left in 2000 they would still occasionally fly in the leather jackets. 

8 hours ago, Old Crow 1986 said:

1) "Were these types of paintings actually worn in “action”?" 

- No, the example above is the only painted, modern, A-2 I have seen in nearly 35 years.  That is, since the A-2 was reintroduced in 1987-88. It is an unauthorized embellishment and goes well beyond any reasonable allowance of promoting unit esprit de corps.

- Also, it may surprise some to know that the modern A-2 is not authorized for wear when performing "...flight duties.."  This is because as a animal hide (skin) the A-2 has no fire resistant properties.   It is plain foolish to wear an A-2 in flight because the wearer would be cloaking their flame resistant flight uniform with a flammable jacket.

(see AFI 36-2903 "A6.5.2. Leather A-2 Flying Jacket. The Leather A-2 Flying Jacket is authorized for ground wear only unless prohibited by MAJCOM supplement.")

2) "or is this just for off duty use?"

- Likely.  I cannot imagine any command allowing such an obvious embellishment of a duty uniform.

Some interesting infos here, thank you. Didn't know about the current A-2s not being a true flight garment  -  I had read (do not remember exactly where) on the web, leather of the jackets when re-introduced was chemically treated with a flame retardant. Didn't specify whether this applied only to early lots of A-2s, or perhaps the whole statement was wrong.

Erikscollectables

On the internet I found that the 132nd was deployed in support of the operation Iraqi and Enduring Freedom. Not sure where they were located though in the 2005 period?

True story,  One of my friends that was a USAF mobility pilot that was deployed, said on time the ME ANG guys were going to be rotating out to their location soon.  They told everyone if they chipped in some money, they would fly them fresh Maine lobsters and other good food out to the AO for them.   This happens quite frequently in the mobility crews world.  Its a riot.  Ive also heard stories of ANG guys in OH flying fresh salmon from trips out to AK and packing it in wing panels to keep frozen at altitude.  Cant confirm that one though.

Erikscollectables
On 10/3/2020 at 2:36 AM, mohawkALSE said:

Even as a souvenir piece, that is really nice.  MAINEiacs.  My buddy had a custom A2 style jacket actually made at Pops.

Yeah it seems the custom jackets at Pop's are viewed as better than the issued ones!

Erikscollectables
10 hours ago, mohawkALSE said:

True story,  One of my friends that was a USAF mobility pilot that was deployed, said on time the ME ANG guys were going to be rotating out to their location soon.  They told everyone if they chipped in some money, they would fly them fresh Maine lobsters and other good food out to the AO for them.   This happens quite frequently in the mobility crews world.  Its a riot.  Ive also heard stories of ANG guys in OH flying fresh salmon from trips out to AK and packing it in wing panels to keep frozen at altitude.  Cant confirm that one though.

Great stories, thanks for sharing!

Erikscollectables

Found this patch on the internet confirming the 132nd (MAINEIacs) sqn was indeed located on Incirlik AB as part of Enduring Freedom!

unnamed (1).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Pop's has/had a rack full of issue A-2s and G-1 s from service pilots trading for one of Pop's custom A-2s ...these featured hand warmer pockets and the coveted underarm gusset, that allowed you to raise your arm without the jacket rising up, pencil pockets on the inside, etc etc etc

the art work while, as stated would not be authorized stateside or in flight, "in the system", and more common in theater, AMC crews, at times wore unauthorized articles of clothing..anything from unauthorized hats, patches, shirts etc...depending on the AC commander...

Judging from the lack of wear to the painting, I would say your flyer didn't wear it much anywhere...

On 10/3/2020 at 5:06 PM, mohawkALSE said:

AMC crews from Charleston flew us hot pizzas and cold beer from Charleston to Haiti...was greatly appriciated

• 3 months later...
21 minutes ago, Spathologist said:

Size 52L?!?!?  That's like, what, 6XL?

One porky air refueler....

I call 46 and above LTC or COL sizes.   I used to give my buddy crap when he was still a CPT at Ramstein flying C-21s, his A2 jacket was a 46.