Battle stars on American Campaign Ribbons When Appropriate?

suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader

I sometimes see stars on the American Campaign & American Defense ribbons  I guess the Aleutians in Alaska would apply but how could a uniform have 2 stars?  Also could a vet that trained in the US and fought in the Pacific be entitled to have that ribbon with no stars in his rack? . Richard

huntssurplus

The American Campaign ribbon was awarded for pretty much anyone. All you had to do to earn the ribbon was to be in the continental united states between december 7th 1941 and sometime in 1946 I believe. 

The Aleutian Island campaign DID NOT qualify as a battle star on the American Campaign. It counted as a star on the PTO Ribbon. Also, if you were stationed in the Hawaii and that was as far out as you made it, that also qualified for a PTO ribbon. 

The only way I know of to earn a star on an American Campaign is to qualify for any of the anti-sub patrols, so this was really limited to just Naval and Army Air Force personnel. 

I don't know if you get more than one star if you [participated in more than one anti sub campaign. If it's a naval uniform there is a possibility because I think there were like 8-10 anti sub patrol campaigns for the American Theatre, the Army only awarded one start I'm pretty sure. Two stars on the ribbon seems pretty unusual, but I would be surprised if it's original even if it's wrong. 

let me know if you have any other questions.

Hunt

You could also earn a battle Star for the American Campaign medal for being part of specific convoys.  

None of this pertains to the American Defense Service medal.   A star on the ribbon of the ADSM indicated the wearer had earned one of four different clasps.   

The American Defense medal had a “FOREIGN SERVICE” bar.  That bar was worn on the medal ribbon.  If you were stationed outside of the US during the time specified in the medal criteria, then you rated to wear the foreign service bar.  A star worn on the Am Def service ribbon signifies the foreign service bar.  The Navy and Marine Corps wore the letter “A” Device on the service ribbon to denote foreign service.

The American Defense medals. Army medals on the left, Navy, Marine medal on the right. The set of ribbons belonged to a Marine Stationed in Iceland 

8EAE2756-CBF2-4FB2-9E27-D8DB6ADA47D2.jpeg

B132DC6E-33CD-4D89-8B8B-6D2A093A83B3.jpeg