1983 PRK-37 in the bag

hink441

Found this helmet today. It is un-issued and still in the bag. The bag had a small torn opening so I am not sure it is complete. Here are some pics. Decided to get it cause the price was right. 

Kinda neat finding this one. Anyone ever find another un-issued helmet like this one?

889EB15E-60F0-43DE-AFB5-669A689416DC.jpeg

89B7E903-B26C-40E7-9D3A-C46959E6F17C.jpeg

6C150FCF-00EA-4A46-85F5-03819859AD02.jpeg

B7C09B59-3EF2-45FE-98C6-89D0033C6535.jpeg

Damn that is sexy.  Excellent find right there.  Is that the felt pieces that go inside the shell that the ear cups velcro to that I see in front of the shell on the tailgate?  I wish I could find some of that for a PRK-37..  Its shaped different than the current HGU helmets.  My buddy in the AF was actually able to get me replacements for the HGU-55 helmet from the life support shop.  Was going to try and use them in a PRK but the 55P ones were smaller and shaped different.

Thanks to all. 

Those are the felt cloth pieces for the inside of the helmet. Here is a picture hopefully you can make out the dimensions. 

58BB390A-45A0-4F90-8D33-B88AE690D0E8.jpeg

What a damn nice find you got there ! I've seen unissued shells from time to time in auctions, but never in the bag, nor with the whole package, so IMO that's a lucky score.

That is also neat to know you should have to assemble it yourself from the beginning, rig it to your liking, or, as we say in France : "you'd start from a blank page".

Or perhaps would you prefer to let it remain in its original untouched unassembled state ?

Both options are worth considering.

Thank you. 

I believe I will leave this helmet just the way it currently is.  I have not seen one like this before (in the bag) and I have numerous other completely assembled and used helmets to enjoy. 

Chris

No arguing here, I'd do the same too ;) .

The tricky part is now "how to display this set ?", for it's not as decorative in the bag as a fully assembled helmet.

Do you have any idea in mind, Chris ?

Display the box with label out.Take some high quality photos of the helmet shell,frame them and display next to box.Hold down the temptation to see whats inside.😀

OOPs,went to the beginning of post and see you do not  have the box.It would still work with another bag to protect the original bag.

• 1 month later...
lancecriminal86

Okay, wow! Since it's opened, might as well track down one of the life support guys from a favorite Tomcat squadron and see if they'll tape it up for you after you get a visor kit for it.

3 hours ago, lancecriminal86 said:

Okay, wow! Since it's opened, might as well track down one of the life support guys from a favorite Tomcat squadron and see if they'll tape it up for you after you get a visor kit for it.

Thank you for your comment but I think I will leave this one as is.  The collector community already has too many put-together helmets in my opinion.  

If I did have a desire to tape this one up, I would make it an Attack Squadron helmet. Remember, “Fighter guys make movies, Attack guys make history”. 😂

I knew this similar citation from the Po City bar scene in the Flight of the Intruder, but with some rather... relaxed language 😁.

Fighter p*kes make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY !

(C) Lt. Jake GRAFTON

lancecriminal86
On 11/14/2020 at 1:41 PM, hink441 said:

Thank you for your comment but I think I will leave this one as is.  The collector community already has too many put-together helmets in my opinion.  

If I did have a desire to tape this one up, I would make it an Attack Squadron helmet. Remember, “Fighter guys make movies, Attack guys make history”. 😂

I'd hate to imply I DON'T want an A-6 helmet at some point! In my case there were local reserve Tomcat squadrons that I've taken a liking to, and it seems very rare that stuff from the squadron shows up. I think part of one of their HGU-33s ended up at Omaha's Surplus a number of years back missing the whole visor assembly.