French Made WWI Distinguished Service Medal.

LYONSJ9

A rare WWI type II French made variant of the Distinguished Service Medal.

These French made pieces were originally created to supplement production shortfalls in America, and to allow rapid award to deserving troops at the front. Later, once US production efficiency was accomplished, these were provided for sale to qualified recipients as a high quality duplicate of their issued award.2a96c6367e8d82264cfba06d009103a8.jpg

61839cdc3748cdebad18128aef1fc4d5.jpg

98352a046aba036da81636b779629ff3.jpg

1390f52735ab89ac2a0fc5f408247d04.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice pictures of a early French made Distinguished Service Medal. I have to admit the quality is near perfect. Does the medal rotate in a similar manner as the American made version.  Thanks for posting.

Very nice pictures of a early French made Distinguished Service Medal. I have to admit the quality is near perfect. Does the medal rotate in a similar manner as the American made version.  Thanks for posting.

Thank you! Unfortunately it doesn’t rotate like the American made ones.

-Jimmy

Jimmy
Thanks for the reply. It is a good looking medal and better than the current medals the army issues.
John

Thank you John! I totally agree. It’s a shame the modern decorations are of such poor quality, it cheapens the meaning of the award imo.