Ref Thread: French Made Second Pattern Army DSC

IMPERIAL QUEST

I have one of these and studied them when I bought mine. It looks good to me. There are two patterns, an early more elaborate one with oak leaves on the arms and this second pattern. Both are WWI vintage and were given as I understand to the recipients who were awaiting shipping or arrival of the US ones. There is no such thing as a WWII French DSC to my knowledge. Kevin

Mine looks like this one. It's the more ornate version. This was a bring back from my relative in the 301st Signal. They did not earn the DSC, so I'm guessing he bought it from someone.

post-20483-0-04461100-1478807412.jpg

I don't believe there is any evidence that French made DSCs were awarded to Americans prior to the real thing being awarded. However, French copies of many Allied decorations

were available for purchase at the time.

Wharf

• 5 months later...
TheMariner

Just curious if this is a nice original? The design looks a little washed out but i am not expert in the field of these! Would appreciate an answer as soon as possible! Thanks again all for your help and expertise! I think these WW1 French made DSC are really beautiful!

Also would this be full size ? Seller say its 1 1/2 inches wide ?? hard to tell from the images!

post-160496-0-55380700-1493652907.jpgpost-160496-0-70679600-1493652912.jpg

I personally don't have a warm fuzzy about it. Specifically, I don't like how light in color the ball suspension is, making the medal look like it is bronze finish rather than bronze in construction. Here are a couple images from years ago from this board of my DSC. Sorry they aren't better. When I get home, I can take some FAR better scannings of it if you are interested. Note that the finish is deep throughout and the reverse has no relief shine as shown in the auction (that kind of cheap oxidation wash you see on modern medals). I am not an expert on French DSC's, so take it for what it is worth.....

-Ski

post-3043-0-11337600-1493655390_thumb.jpg

post-3043-0-17130800-1493655393_thumb.jpg

Also notice that the eagle on my medal has three talons on his left claw vs two on the one in the auction. May not be anything, but it is a difference.....

-Ski

post-3043-0-87480700-1493655761_thumb.jpg

tarbridge

Also notice that the eagle on my medal has three talons on his left claw vs two on the one in the auction. May not be anything, but it is a difference.....

-Ski

You have a nice DSC.The other pictured I think with the images provided would be a 1930's or earlier.

tarbridge

My opinion is that it is a 1930's...real but later...I definitely can be wrong.

• 10 months later...

What's the story with French-made DSCs in WWI? Who got them? When? Were they all replaced with numbered ones? There were two patterns? Fake ones?

Any info appreciated.

If I recall correctly it was a matter of availability for presentation while in Theater. Assumption is that when the US made cross was not available some were made in Theater to fill the immediate need. My thought is it would have been early, soon after authorization of the medal. And as it was changed to the second design you had a repeat of the availability issue again early after the approval of the medal. As for a listing of whom, when, and were they replaced I don't believe that exist but it would be a great, though tedious and near impossible, project. The awardee could surly request a replacement, it was not necessary. Having said that, I am just a humble enthusiast and by no means an expert on the subject. You could post photos if you would like opinions.

Regards,

Mark

No specific examples in question, just a general question. You see them around, just always been curious. Anyone know who made them in France? If they had it replaced with a numbered American one, did they have to return the French one? Ever seen a group that still had both? Anyone have a CONFIRMED DSC group that kept the French one? Are all French ones out there original WWI period or did they keep making (faking) them?

BigJohn#3RD

No specific examples in question, just a general question. You see them around, just always been curious. Anyone know who made them in France? If they had it replaced with a numbered American one, did they have to return the French one? Ever seen a group that still had both? Anyone have a CONFIRMED DSC group that kept the French one? Are all French ones out there original WWI period or did they keep making (faking) them?

It has been awhile since any WWI Living DSC recipient has been around and photographic evidence is hard to find. If and when a recipient received a French manufactured DSC as an award, they more than likely had an American one given to them or issued later on. Most likely, they kept the original one, just a SWAG on my part.
I’m sure there were a number of “Hero’s” who purchased one to wear home. Possibly, an AEF Soldier, Marine or Sailor received one, sent it home and was subsequently KIA and NOK never received the original but as you say provenance is all important these days.
Hard to pin down a province on one. But if there is any OMSA would be your best chance to find out more about the subject. I know that one of its members did an article about the DSC in the last year or two that might be worth your while.
They are excellent looking medals, I have owned a couple of repros, but I would not lay out a lot of cash to own one that is said to be awarded to PVT Snuffy for Heroism at the such and such battle. Just my point of view.
People more knowledge can fill in the gaps. But if it does not feel right don’t lay out the cash, just speaking from experience.

• 1 year later...
SFTROOPER86

Greetings,
Does anyone have any idea how many of these Army DSC's were made by the French?
Thanks,
Vince

post-6407-0-23079300-1559785414_thumb.jpg

post-6407-0-19195600-1559785425_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
BigJohn#3RD

Vince,

What you have posted is a WWI 1st Type DSC produced in France in 1918 for the AEF. There  is no known list about the number ordered and issued by the AEF. This information is from a JOMSA article from March-April 2015, by Charles P. McDowell: The First-Type Army Distinguished Service Cross: The “Back Story,” Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America, Volume 66, Number 2.

John

• 1 year later...

A rare WWI type II French made variant of the Distinguished Service Cross from my collection.

These French made pieces were originally created to supplement production shortfalls in America, and to allow rapid award to deserving troops at the front. Later, once US production efficiency was accomplished, these were provided for sale to qualified recipients as a high quality duplicate of their issued award.ef9806200f84008e24f2b77e59a1bf96.jpg5ed974a6747acf6f524533317b65c547.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk