Crated Japanese Type 38 Carbine from the Colonel Walter Buie Collection.

WWIIBuff1945

WWIIBuff1945

Crated Japanese Type 38 Carbine from the Colonel Walter Buie Collection. I was outbid on a few of the Colonels auctions last month but this one showed up on the secondary market.  I really wanted something from the Colonels collection and was disappointed to be outbid and was happy to see this one show up for sale Here is a link to the completed auction for addition information. Click on link inside the link for the August auction given by Centurion. https://www.centurionauctions.com/wwii-war-trophy-firearm-militaria-collection-of-colonel-walter-buiebuie9.jpg.aae86f732a3a1e1d591dc5c04b442a4e.jpg

buie8.jpg

buie11.jpg

buie10.jpg

buie13.jpg

USCapturephotos

Always enjoy seeing crated pieces like this! Thanks for sharing. I have a few bring back firearms but have never been lucky enough to find one still with the original crate.

Paul

WWIIBuff1945
1 hour ago, Steve Brannan said:

A very nice carbine “in the box”. Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Steve

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Greginva said:

Very nice!  Just curious, is the newspaper packing from Military newspapers?

The papers are 1944 dated US Army regulations!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So on the type 5 a couple of things appear off to me. The rifle is longer than the crate...Perhaps its just sitting on a recessed lid but maybe not. The paperwork refers to Colonel Buie but when Colonel Buie presumably addressed the box he used Major? Maybe an old stencil he had? Still, seems odd.    Scott

Definitely wouldn't fit in that box. Some years ago another dealer I know, brought into one of the gun shows the bayonet for one of these rifles to show me.

A very interesting and rare bayonet for a very rare rifle.

Ken

You have to remember these broke down basically the same as the M1, so it would fit into that box.  

The Type 4 rifle would use any of the standard Japanese T-30 bayonets.