Ideas for leather sweatband preservation

Dave

In my real job, I was promoted today and as a result, changed from one kind of visor hat (e.g. combination cover) to another. The "new" (to me) cover is a near-mint condition WW2 vintage hat that happens to fit my big head (I've owned it for years, and now finally get to wear it!) With that said, the leather sweatband in the hat is about as minty as they come - still completely pliable - with no rips or tears or dry spots.

This is my concern with the hat now...while I won't wear the hat daily (I may wear it once or twice before I retire, and that's about it) I want to make sure that the leather remains in pliable shape, considering that it is now being touched, worn on a head (e.g. skin and hair oil getting on it) and so on. I also have a wooden hat form that I keep in the hat so it doesn't "round out". 

I believe the hat was unworn and untouched for 70 years, which is why the sweatband is as good of a condition as it is...so I want to make sure it remains in wearable condition not just while I have it, but well into the future, either wearing it as a retired officer or maybe even passing it down to one of my kids should they choose to follow in the tradition of naval service. 

Thus, my questions:

1. What's the best material to keep between the wooden hat form and the leather? Archival paper? Some sort of acid free cloth?

2. Is there a recommended leather treatment that I can put on the leather to mitigate skin oil and keep it pliable?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I would use acid free paper or bubble wrap for question number 1 to ensure sufficient air flow (you don't want to suffocate the leather with things like newspapers or plastic foils that leave no room for air). 

For question 2, I'd avoid leather care products that create some sort of coating on top of the leather, which can also suffocate the leather, I'd personally use body milk or leather care that doesn't leave a coating, but only very sporadically unless you wear it every day, since sweat contains harmful salts and such the leather would require proper nutrition. But the main thing in any event is preventing that the leather dries, hence ensuring air circulation and gentle hydration. 

Hope it helps!