OSS... Psy Ops Branch Insignia

irish

There has been some discussion recently regarding this particular branch insignia.  This example is one of three that came out of the late Jay Massaros' collection.  All three examples in his collection were what I would call theater made or non-U.S. made. I was able to acquire two of the three ..... Ironically as I recall he did not have a Dondero example in his collection.

rsz_20201001_095203.jpg

and the reverse..  Clutch back as you can see...  the striations seen are the reflection from a window screen near where the photo was taken.

rsz_20201001_095228.jpg

Thanks for sharing this as I've had an image of the front of this very same badge (see photo) for many years (chips in black paint match) now but I have never seen the reverse.  I never knew there were three of these badges out there as I have never seen one come up for sale.  This like the German made clutch back piece on the previous thread with the blunt ends have yet to surface being worn by anyone in period photographs that I have ever come across.  When you say Dondero I'm assuming you are referring to Robbins as I've never come across a Dondero hallmarked OSS collar badge.  In all of the period OSS photographs that I have come across the OSS collar badge has the look of the front of the below pictured Robbins hallmarked OSS collar badge.  There is one period photograph of an officer wearing what looks like the bullion version of this badge that were supposedly made in Belgium.   This bullion collar badge has already been faked or copied but I have never come across a copy of your OSS collar badge.  

Due to all of the fakes out on the market over the years where many collectors have lost their hard earned money to unscrupulous sellers to include myself I am reluctant to share a picture of what I feel is a genuine US made OSS collar badge.  I'm pretty sure that the folks that are making these fakes read the forum so I don't want to make it easy for them manufacture better fakes so to speak.  

OSS Collar Looks OK.jpg

OSS SB Robbins Pin (2).jpg

OSS SB Robbins Pin (3).jpg

The only photo I have ever seen of this insignia being worn was in an article in the Trading Post. It was a small photo that was part of an article regarding the insignia.

The other piece I have coming from this collection has a German made post war type DI pin on it.  The collection this came out of was built over many,,.. many years.  The pieces were likely acquired and traded amongst old Asmic members and or found at long ago Asmic conventions. Long before online internet type options were available.  I cannot say with any certainty where this particular piece was made.

One would hope anything being faked at this point moving forward would be obvious to an average or better collector. 

2 hours ago, manayunkman said:

So the clutch back is German?

I have no proof that this variant that KurtA posted on the other thread is German made but I believe it is based two observations I have come across over the years while searching for these collar badges.  The pair I purchased for only 25 dollars from a very honest insignia seller is pictured below.  It came out of a hoard of post war occupation era German made US unit crests.   Unfortunately the seller is no longer with us.  I have also seen this variant once with a German made pin back assembly like the ones found on Nazi Tinnies (see below).  Based on these observations I came to the conclusion that they are German made.  There are several variants of this variant and since I have never seen a period photo of anyone wearing this variant collar badge I am not 100% certain it was ever worn.  

DSCF0184.JPG

DSCF0185.JPG

DSCF0187.JPG

DSCF0188.JPG

OSS German (3).JPG

I also have a screw back variant of the variant (see below).  I have also come across a variant of the variant with a US made pin back assembly (see below).  So I don't know what to make of this variant and their variants.  Maybe KurtA who has additional information concerning the piece on the other thread.

DSCF0190.JPG

DSCF0191.JPG

DSCF0192.JPG

DSCF0193.JPG

Collar OSS PIN.jpg

Collar OSS PIN (1).jpg

Here is what I initially thought might be a theater made OSS collar badge as it is the same size as these other collar badges.  As you can see the one I purchased was missing the rear fixing.  A number of years later I found out this was actually as stick pin for probably a veteran of the OSS when a complete piece came up for bid on eBay.  The reason I being this up is because unscrupulous sellers of insignia could go to a jeweler and have any kind of rear fixing soldered in place to fool collectors.

DSCF0197.JPG

DSCF0198.JPG

Collar OSS Collar (3).jpg

The screw back version is a quality made piece.. the German pin back shown is similar to my other piece.  It appears From your photo the pin back piece had a lacquer applied that has toned a bit as does my example.