Hunting an M1 Carbine 30 cal by serial number - 6841484

Able Fox

Hello and thanks for letting me into the group.

I am sure you all can share with my regret when I explain my story. When I was 18 or so, my parents moved and my father asked me if I wanted his M1 Carbine. I was in college and had no place to store it so I passed. I have very few regrets but this one haunts me. My father retired from the Marine Corps with 28 years and passed on about 5 years ago. My Uncle was WIA at Chosin Reservoir and spent the rest of his years teaching Chinese History from a wheel chair....I remember them discussing weapons and particularly the Carbine.

This search was all resurrected when I was reviewing some documents in a paper file labeled Guns. There in my mothers handwriting was the inventory and serial numbers of the rifles he also had, a Brescia, a Springfield 1903, a Misc. Japanese rifle, and a Remington New Model Civil War era revolver. Her exact notes are: "Carbine M30 (caliber 30) inland division, Serial No: 6841484". I am assuming the Japanese rifle had markings she could not translate. I do have the Remington Revolver, but its the Carbine that was his and his history.

I was not involved with the sale of these but my best guess knowing my father is he did not sell them to an individual but probably went to a local gun dealer in the Monmouth County New Jersey area and sold them. Just an educated guess though. That would have been late 1988 or 1989.

Anyway, I would love to track this rifle down and if nothing else provide a bit of history to the owner and if possible purchase it.  Just want to add this. If someone on this board or another forum happens to be that needle in the haystack and has this rifle, please, do not feel that you need to sell or part with this weapon in anyway. It was sold fair and square and that's that. It would just be cool to know where it ended up and felt the owner might like to know where it came from and why it was in pristine condition!

I know it is a needle in a haystack but I enjoy the hunt. Thanks in advance and appreciate any assistance.

Thank you,

Scott

Yes, I have posts on the CMP, UScarbine30 cal, milsurps and a M1 Garand Facebook page.  Trying to get as many lines in the water to see if I get a bite ;)

• 4 weeks later...

scotty,

The Carbine Club does not have any record of a Data Sheet being turned in on the Inland.

Regards,

Charlie-Painter777

• 2 months later...

HAPPY NEW YEAR
My search for Dads carbine continues. Still looking for Inland 6841484

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk