Named 9th Medical Battalion, 9th Infantry Division Ike jacket North Africa vet

36thIDAlex

Meant to post this in uniforms, if the moderators want to remove the post in latest finds feel free.

Carmine Landato was born to two Italian immigrants who had only arrived in New York City less than a decade before. Raised in the bustle of Brooklyn’s Italian district with working class parents, Landato was no stranger to hardship. After doing odd jobs to help the family during high school, he got a full time position with a laundromat. The job was uninspiring, however, and Carmine decided to pursue a career in the armed forces, enlisting in 1940. Selected to train as a medic, he moved to Camp Upton, NY where before long he and others were selected to reform the 9th Medical Battalion and join the mobilizing 9th Infantry Division.

Upon the outbreak of war, Carmine and the 9th became some of the first GIs to engage in offensive operations. Landing at Algeria in November of 1942, Carmine began a long trek through the European theater which saw him patching up injured Americans from North Africa, Sicily, Normandy, Belgium, and in the final push through Germany. The battalion got its first taste of action under the hot desert sun, operating on 9th ID casualties while freeing French North Africa and holding off Rommel’s forces in Tunisia. Not long after, he and the battalion were part of the invading force securing Sicily from German control before receiving moving orders to begin further training in England. The battalion underwent more intensive field operation procedures in preparation for the invasion of the mainland which eventually came on D+4 in the sands of Utah Beach.

From here, Carmine and the medics of the 9th began the long-winded drive to Germany. Conquering Cherbourg, St. Lo, and the Falaise, the well-experienced division began receiving its first large batches of replacements. Carmine, a seasoned vet, would see more and more young faces undergoing treatment as the division pushed further into Europe. The Bulge was a very rough time for the medical personnel, with low supplies and lots of casualties along their defensive line from Kalterherberg to the infamous Elsenborn. Nevertheless, the medics worked tirelessly, keeping the division in fighting shape.

The final push into Germany went a lot faster and the combat, while still tough, was more progressive than before. Aid stations moved more often, casualties came from many areas, in all, it was a very mobile time for the battalion. While I was never able to confirm his participation directly, the 9th Medical was likely involved in the treatment of prisoners liberated from the concentration camp at Nordhausen which the 9th ID helped to liberate. I can only imagine Carmine’s thoughts seeing the atrocities after all the bloods and gore he’d experienced the prior three years. Eventually, the drive continued and the division ended the war reliving the 3rd Armor along the Mulde River.

As a medic in the 9th, Carmine saw more action than most and likely more mangled bodies than civilian doctors see in a lifetime. His role as a medic in the designated division battalion ensured he was always close to the frontlines either alongside the troops or right behind them at an aid station, ready to get them back in the fight. From Morocco to Germany they were always in the front and earned a reputation for excellence under pressure, earning them the unit citation you see on his sleeve.

When the war finally came to a close he did not have to wait long to come home. The US marked the 8th country visited throughout his five year tour of duty. He settled down, married, had some children, and spent the rest of his days amongst friends and family in Brooklyn until passing last fall. Sadly I was never able to meet Carmine, but his story will live on through his service uniform and will not be forgotten.

The uniform itself was found in his apartment while clearing it after his death, two stars have fallen off the uniform but left clear indentions on the ribbon, meaning Carmine did see service in all 8 of the 9th IDs campaigns. The DIs are in great shape, I believe they are US made screwbacks but there are unfortunately no maker markings on them. Sadly, most of the paperwork was thrown out by the unknowing estate workers but one photo ID was saved, giving me the photo I have on the information card. The card itself is from later time in the Civil Defense Administration where it seems he continued using his medical skills in the postwar period. In all, a very great piece from a well-seasoned division. I personally knew a 9th ID engineer who served through all their campaigns as well, but he passed this summer. From hearing his stories I learned to especially respect the men of the 9th and am now proud to have this great uniform representing the division in my collection.

53c9e30236fedd75a8fe36cea44ab7e9.jpeg

6d65574435db250b0bd2b094f2334f10.jpeg

256e4c159c62e1aec16f2f0533d18d89.jpeg

455cabca968e2fcfb6f69df018ce86ef.jpeg

5908b44cc5abba65676d9a31e8c16a9e.jpeg

477d716be71221210388a86c622f7a0e.jpeg

8bf683f3ab9d0b248ce2f2409082cb2c.jpeg

6df7fe2beb833542751885db4bf70e0f.jpeg

479cd16f97ab6d2f7fe1bca43add728a.jpeg

7a17512b71dc5d5d25ae0908acccedc6.jpeg

50e5e48f06c4f1cc84fe4e4414c05eec.jpeg

Thanks y'all! Definitely happy to add this one, don't see stuff from the med battalions very often. Another division down!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Thomas Landato

I came across this forum last night. Carmine was my father. I'm wondering how you obtained all this information. My father almost never talked about the war. I knew that he was a medic, and that he served in North Africa and parts of Europe. I have photographic evidence that he participated in the liberation of at least one of the concentration camps. I didn't know the specifics of his assignments like you're presenting here. Also, is that his actual jacket???? I would so much like to contact you. BTW....thank you for posting this tribute to him.