C.C. Moseley wing on ebay

Costa

this does not look good. feathering looks to be weak, lack of detail.  i went back to find the listing and wing was gone. it was a buy it now at 200.00 with a no return police. maybe some of you seen it.

I didn't see it but went and found it, and it looks like a good one to me.  Someone got a bargain.

Moseley ray a flying school or two for the AAF.  He awarded these engraved wings to his instructors.  Russ has several of them.  They were also discussed in a recent thread where I suggested the wings appeared to have been made by Noble.

I bought the wing, or at least I thought so. The seller refunded my PayPal payment within an hour, and not at my request. I think we all know why. The seller said the wing would be relisted with the guy's hat to help 'validate the wing'. He sent me a pic of the hat to 'help validate the wing' immediately after my payment. The hat has a US Naval Officer's cap badge on it! What to do and oh well.

I hate that when it happens.  You just have a feeling that some other collector contacted the guy and told him what he had and so he cancelled what should have been a binding bid.  I've had it happen to me before and it sucks.  Sorry you missed out on it Steve.  It's a very nice wing.

Sorry that sucks.  Ebay can giveth and eBay can taketh away!  That stings, but I think it has happened to many of us.

I was talking to Russ about the CCM wings.  They seem to have been given to Cal Aero, Polaris and Mira Loma instructors.  Russ and I were talking and I think that there were only a couple of hundred of these made, as their would have been a finite number of guys involved in training.  I believe that the contract school part of training "allied" pilots via the Lend/Lease started around 1941, before starting to train US cadets in 1942, and by late 1944 began to run down.  I recall that most of the CCM wings I have seen are dated 1941-1942 (maybe as late as 1943). I don't recall seeing anything prior to 1941 or later than 1942 (although I could be wrong).

So these wings are very collectable and rare.  It also appears that there are at least 2 base wings.

It does suck you got robbed.

That really sucks.

I had the same thing happen a few months ago.

I won an uncommon DI at a great price and was on track for a second.
An hour later the seller cancelled the order and pulled the auction on the other item.

Said the items were “lost”.

Very frustrating...

Yes, that is BS, happened to me b4 as well.  There is nothing like the high of getting a super great deal only to be followed up by the super low of getting screwed on that "great" deal!

Did anyone get a pic of the wing?

And don't forget if you WON the auction you CAN leave NEGATIVE feedback for the contract violation, eBay might even get involved?

5thwingmarty

With the documentation of the sellers message I think you can file a formal complaint with ebay.  They clearly violated ebays rules by cancelling the sale for an invalid reason.  You will probably not get the wing but the seller might be made to suffer a bit by ebay.

Ebay used to be like the wild wild west!  Back in the day I recall rampant shill biding, fake biding, bait and switch, pay to play, ponzi schemes, etc.  I was a totally broke graduate student and used to spend hours on ebay following various bidders and dealers.  I met Russ that way (we were internet "BFFs" before we actually met at the Great Western!--not that there is anthing wrong with that).  I used to follow certain bidders, like Cliff all the time.  I learned a TON from just watching what he was bidding on.  It was YEARS before I knew that Cliff was the same guy I was following by lurking in the background.  There were also some real rogues who were on ebay and I would also follow them to see what type of shenanigans they were up to. 

What happened to Steve seemed to be very common.  An auction would end and 5-6 internet trolls would contact the seller and offer a slightly higher bid.  One of the ways that Ebay combated that was to put in the BIN and best offer option.

Then there was a whole circus of shill and proxy bidders to run up the auction. Some dealers had a "selling" account and a "bidding" account.  So the same dealer could bid up his own items.  Then there were wolf packs of dealers and shillers and you could follow them and see the same guys always bidding up the same dealer's auctions.  The trick was to get the price high, without driving off the real bidders.  You always knew something was up when all of a sudden, a high bid was retracted just before an auction ended.

Another trick was for someone to contact the seller and bad mouth an auction winner.  I know a couple of people who used to be on this forum (or who are still lurking) who did that all the time to other people who are on this forum still.  The old "This person is a cheat and liar, and is trying to cheat you out of the true value of the wing...".  You all know who you are!  I remember getting dragged into a couple of auctions, once cited as an "expert" and once described as a "fat dithering idiot" based on a forum discussion!  LOL... again, you all know who you are!

Then you would have people contacting the dealer, lying to them... the old, "I'm a nice guy to tell you this, but your Tiffany marked wing is a fake, but I would do you a favor and give you 75$ for it, because I'm that type of sweet guy!".  That trick only worked until other bidders learned to contact the dealer and say "Hey, you got a nice item there, don't let some fool tell you it is a fake!  Let the auction run and you will be happy with the results".

Then it seemed that Ebay started to change the rules.  You cannot follow bidders to see what they are bidding on. You cannot even see their screen names, much less their real names.  The feedback rules have changed.  And it is (or so I hear), much harder to get back onto ebay once you get kicked off.  The old way of just signing up another account isn't nearly as easy.  Ebay isn't as much fun, but it is less like Dodge City.

Moseley also used to give out wallets with an inscription,  and a special metal named  " Card " as well. I have some of both. I don't have a wing though.

Kurt

Yes that is true.  I am under the impression that the card, wallet and metal plate were provided to the students/cadets. They are also scarce but I do see them much more frequently that the engraved wings.

I wouldn't be shocked if there were less than 250 instructors in all three schools at any one time.  Assume some turn over (and this is just a guess) it wouldn't seem outlandish to say that there may be less that 500 of these engraved wings that were made and presented.  I know a few collectors that have 1 or 2, a small number of collectors with 5-10, and a couple of the big dogs who may have  >10-15.  They are super rare and highly sought after. AND relatively easy to research in the Cal Aero/Mira Loma/Polaris year books.

Here is one of the Cal Aero wallets. Both the cards and the wallets were Indeed provided to cadets not instructors.

DACAF212-B8D9-484B-93D1-5BE3B66FEEC1.jpeg

C296DE74-C441-4ABF-B30C-747405EEB67E.jpeg

Looks like that CC Moseley wing illustrated above is back in play with a $1,200.00 buy-it-now...

Check out ebay #274516624785

58 minutes ago, 5thwingmarty said:

With the documentation of the sellers message I think you can file a formal complaint with ebay.  They clearly violated ebays rules by cancelling the sale for an invalid reason.  You will probably not get the wing but the seller might be made to suffer a bit by ebay.

forget it!!!!!!! it happened to me with another Moseley wing and ebay did crap. all ebay gives a damn about is money. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME.

7 hours ago, B-17Guy said:

That really sucks.

I had the same thing happen a few months ago.

I won an uncommon DI at a great price and was on track for a second.

I had the same thing happen to me last month, one rare DI in a group of foreign medals from an overseas seller, then the last day I check on it and it had vanished. I didn't even get a notification it had been removed it was just gone. High bid on the lot was .99$.

And wow, that is robbery that it resold for that.