Opinions Needed on a forage cap

M24 Chaffee

Hello All,

I would appreciate any comments or observations on this cap. Thanks in advance for any help!

Best regards,

Frank

96EC854A-E865-4418-A4B7-B532EA7B410F.jpeg

85EEAF50-E07B-4BAE-B816-0002EC0F2962.jpeg

190BA42D-E2B7-4701-81C3-DBA327ECDA4A.jpeg

D6A9892D-3B49-4AC6-8644-FACBFB750783.jpeg

Hey Frank , The cap looks fine to me , I really like it.  I could give you a more informed opinion about the little badges the soldiers put on them . Have a good day.  Mike

AustinO and Mike thank you for your comments!

Mike, what I know about the badges is that they may be or are company letter and regimental number. There’s probably no way to be sure that these have been on the cap since the Civil War? I don’t usually see period photos where they are spaced this far apart unless there was another insignia in between them. I don’t think I see any evidence that shows that there was any other insignia on the crown. 
Thanks again!

Frank

Hey Frank , I think the number and letter are fine and original to the cap. If someone we’re trying to enhance the value a Corps badge would be more appropriate. I simply meant by my comment that I know more about Corps badges and ID devices than I do about Forage Caps. Also it looks like the cap has a ghost impression of a 3rd corps diamond. The number and letter may have ghost impressions under them.  Again a nice cap I would be proud  to own.   Mike

wartimecollectables.com

Noted that the number is slightly off center to the letter and some damage next to it. I'd bet that it originally had a two digit regiment number. Way cool 100% Yankee lid!!!

9 hours ago, skypilot6670 said:

Hey Frank , I think the number and letter are fine and original to the cap. If someone we’re trying to enhance the value a Corps badge would be more appropriate. I simply meant by my comment that I know more about Corps badges and ID devices than I do about Forage Caps. Also it looks like the cap has a ghost impression of a 3rd corps diamond. The number and letter may have ghost impressions under them.  Again a nice cap I would be proud  to own.   Mike

Mike, my wife also said she noticed ghosting on the crown also. I was thinking that it was just wear marks but I wasn’t sure. It would make sense though because of the a big open space between the C and the 7. The prongs for the brass are not poked through the liner. I can feel them folded between the crown and the liner. I don’t see any holes in the liner that look like stitching or prongs to hold any insignia. I’ll look closer because there may be more evidence. Thanks again for your kind comments! Frank

8 hours ago, wartimecollectables.com said:

Noted that the number is slightly off center to the letter and some damage next to it. I'd bet that it originally had a two digit regiment number. Way cool 100% Yankee lid!!!

Thanks for commenting! I also was wondering if there was a number missing. The number may look a little off center because of the warpage of the brim and the placement of the chinstrap slider? 

4 hours ago, ludwigh1980 said:

Very nice original civil war cap in great condition. This is what they are supposed to look like. 

I appreciate that! Thanks

Frank

11 hours ago, mdk0911 said:

awesome cap - well done - the right amount of salty!!

Thank you! I like pieces with some character too!

Frank

• 9 months later...
thunderbolts45

Beautiful cap 👍

Looks like its a Lewis J. & Issac Phillips contract cap based on the tag.

M24 Chaffee
8 hours ago, thunderbolts45 said:

Beautiful cap 👍

Looks like its a Lewis J. & Issac Phillips contract cap based on the tag.

Hello, and thank you for your comment! Yes, the remaining piece of the label is from that maker.