Is there a name for this item? Spare Tire Identification disc from a Cold War era Jeep

Martinjmpr

Thought I'd share another item from my father's military service.  

This is the disc that was carried on Border Patrol jeeps when Dad was in the 11th ACR from 1960 - 63.  It was given to my dad as a going away gift when he left Germany.  

What's cool about this is that I also have a picture of my Dad with the disc.  See the attached photo, taken at the Rhornbach border camp some time in 1960 or 61.  

2020-09-29 17.07.38.jpg

John Germany No Date.jpg

Unfortuntately there's not enough detail in the photo to know if this is the same disc but from the irregular shapes of some of the letters (look a the B and D in "BORDER" in particular) I believe that it is the same disc, since it appears to be hand painted.  

Martin,

This is a great piece.. I would have to agree that the disc in the photo on the back of the jeep matches yours.. I also compared the A and the O's and I would say they were identical..

Do you know if the jeep your dad's hand is resting on was the one he was assigned?

Leigh

8 hours ago, Rakkasan187 said:

Martin,

This is a great piece.. I would have to agree that the disc in the photo on the back of the jeep matches yours.. I also compared the A and the O's and I would say they were identical..

Do you know if the jeep your dad's hand is resting on was the one he was assigned?

Leigh

Yes, I'm pretty sure that was his jeep.  I see the name of a PFC on the windshield but no other names, so I'm guessing the name on the windshield was the name of the driver.  

Its a great piece from your fathers time in the service..

Thank you for sharing it and honoring your father

Best regards

Leigh