Preserving a framed guidon (flag)

Martinjmpr

Curious if anyone has advice on how to protect/preserve an old guidon (for those not familiar with the term, a guidon is a flag that designates a company-sized unit.)  

The guidon in question belonged to my father, who passed away in March.  It was his old Troop (what they call a company-sized unit in the Cavalry) from 1960.  I believe it was given to my dad around 1961 and was probably framed in 1963 when he returned from Germany.  He was in G Troop, 2nd Squadron, 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment, based in Landshut, Germany.

Here are some photos of the guidon.  As you can see, it has some stains but as near as I can tell they are on the guidon itself and under the glass.  I have NOT removed this from under the glass.  

I'd like to clean the guidon but my concern is that for something that has been under glass for probably over 55 years, it might do more damage than good.  Am I better off just leaving it where it is, under the glass?  I don't have any kids so I don't really have anyone to pass it on to so I may try to donate it to the 11th ACR museum, if they want it, once I no longer have room for it.  

2020-09-27 15.02.44.jpg

2020-09-27 15.02.48.jpg

2020-09-27 15.02.52.jpg

My Soldiers framed my company guidon when I left command in June 2009. Part of the mystique of framing a guidon is to show it has real wear. My guidon was flown in Iraq during the surge of OIF 07-09 at COB Speicher near Tikrit. It's very dirty and torn, and that's just the way I like it. It has a story and a history that way. If it were pristine and clean then I would guess it had never left a garrison environment. So, if I was in your shoes, I'd leave it alone. Don't clean it! You may want to take it to a frame shop to see if they can swap out the glass with UV resistant glass. That will keep the guidon from fading any further. In the blank space on the right you could also have a name plate engraved to record your father's service history. When you're ready to let it go, someone knowing a name and dates would appreciate it more. 

• 2 months later...
dhcoleterracina

I would add to never hang it in direct sunlight. I like the UV glass idea but sunlight will fade it bad. I'm not a fan of you donating it since I've had bad experiences with that. I think that when the time comes to take it off the wall, that you take it out of the frame and keep it safe for the next handoff. 

You can also consider mounting it with double mats; this will protect the material from coming in contact w/ the glass. A little glue stick will help adhere it to the back mat.