Some Purple Heart Guidance Requested

TheCrustyBosun

TheCrustyBosun

A family member of mine gave me a PH medal as a gift about twenty years ago.  They saw it in an antique shop in Corpus Christi, Texas and new I collected “military stuff”. I graciously accepted the gift, but never really knew what to do with it as I don’t collect awards. I have mixed feelings about owning awards that aren’t my family’s or I didn’t earn myself. It’s a personal thing. No big deal. I understand the significance of such a medal and have the utmost respect for  those who’ve earned it. That’s why I’ve kept it all the years. Selling it never felt quite right. Either way, it deserves a good home and that’s what I’ve given it. 

So, I’m looking for some guidance. I’d like to know exactly what I have for nothing more than the education. I believe it is a WWII era medal, but I can’t be certain as it has no recipient engraving on the reverse. Thanks. 

79F0408D-9046-4962-873A-5B4994D83444.jpeg

05521067-C4E9-47E6-95C3-CAA4A70BB080.jpeg

0093F533-7CA8-4A07-BDA4-14DA645D3548.jpeg

Looks to be a WW2 slot brooch. You can see how the ribbon goes through the slot on the pin device. ? If it’s number (on the rim) it’s an earlier version, type 2 made from 42-43 I believe. If it is unnumbered it’s a 43-45 type 3. I think I got that right, hope it helps. 

I'll offer you my personal opinions and you can do with them as you wish. While it was very nice of your relative to give you the medal, I think that their gesture was that they saw something that they thought you would like, and so they acquired it for you. I do not think that they were trying to direct their will upon you to what they thought that you should collect, nor should you feel the need to focus on an area that isn't one that piques your interest. I'm sure that if your family member bought you a football jersey for a team that you don't cheer for, they wouldn't expect you to change allegiances; they would figure that you would exchange the jersey for a team that you like. The same can be said for the medal. If you aren't focusing on medals, and this doesn't fit your area of focus, then you shouldn't be concerned about having it in your collection. I would tell you that they would be just as happy knowing that you traded or sold the medal and acquired something that does interest you. 

Now, if every time your relative drops by they ask to see the Purple Heart, then there is a different situation there, but since the medal is not a family heirloom and it doesn't meet your collecting focus, I would encourage you to let someone else enjoy it and use the proceeds for something that you enjoy.

Allan

TheCrustyBosun

Allan, thank you for your comments. I have always appreciated the medal and the fact that they thought of me when they saw it. I guess the idea of what to do with it now is what I’m grappling with. While I have mixed feelings about selling it, I do believe it should be in a collection where it fits and gets the appreciation it deserves. 

“I would tell you that they would be just as happy knowing that you traded or sold the medal and acquired something that does interest you.”

Very well said Allan, bravo

Since the medal is not named and with no ID, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. As they say, without a story it’s just military surplus. So I wouldn’t sweat doing what you want with it. 

TheCrustyBosun
16 minutes ago, tdogchristy90 said:

“I would tell you that they would be just as happy knowing that you traded or sold the medal and acquired something that does interest you.”

Very well said Allan, bravo

Since the medal is not named and with no ID, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. As they say, without a story it’s just military surplus. So I wouldn’t sweat doing what you want with it. 

Thanks. I think I may lean more toward a pair of WWII AAF 2” pilot wings.