1917 warren swivel holster defective or prototype?

dave307

I’m asking for help with this.  There are some very unusual characteristics  with this holster. The us stamp is on the back side . It has a snap to keep the flap open. This also has a smaller than usual brass swivel . It also has no belt attachment. This is in mint condition. Any thoughts about this would be greatly appreciated. 

55F68F69-B626-4A4F-AB70-46D083C06211.jpeg

76BA58D8-C91B-4C1C-8566-1D624F96A810.jpeg

9A12A9D7-596B-4C80-A6C2-A27C7905CDE2.jpeg

A3E8C379-C057-4A02-9EE1-65788A3EC9DE.jpeg

14FD3E59-1210-488A-B595-BD6CBF9808CF.jpeg

It appears the some works has been done on it to make it appear like a cav holster. My opinion (for what it is worth) thinks the plain flap was added after the US flap was cut down and the belt portion was added.

I don't believe it to be a mistake or rare

For what it's worth, I agree with your assessment.  Looks like the original flap was used to attach the swivel part and a new flap put on.  It appears to have been to allow it to go on a narrow belt and to hang down farther than a regular holster.  As to when and where it was done, that's a good question that I don't think will ever be answered.

Backtheattack

because of the difference in color I think a second one was added for a cavalry-style holster and the original sewed again. Looks great. Time is unknown, but I have seen cavalry style holsters in different museums in Normandy.