A-7E Corsair ejection seat

hink441

IMG_0669.JPG.1c0629c99bf15f688b4eb1d9d780af0b.JPG

Here is a picture of my IG-2.

When I received it, I noticed the canopy breakers were not deployed.  I figured they must have been permenantly deactivated, but I decided to not pull the ejection handles until I could figure out what was and wasn't attached.  While looking at the linkages under the top cover, I sure enough set off the breakers.  BAM!  Luckily there was nothing in the way of them (like someone's body part!).

The seat cushion is out of the cover here, I wanted to wash the cover and I'm planning on putting new upholstery foam inside.

I've already got a bunch of questions...

What secures the parachute container to the seat?

The spring loaded lever on the right side behind your head.  What is that for?  Moving the lever makes the face curtain handle move up and down, but it's spring loaded so it alwys returns to the down position.

And... Anyone know how to reset the canopy breakers? 😉 The springs themselves seem to have one-way notches machined in them.

-Crow

Great looking seat!!

I believe the upper handle is spring loaded and is held in the upward position when the canopy breakers are stowed. When the canopy breakers are extended, the spring loaded arm goes to the upper position and lowers the upper handle/face curtain to the lowered position. 

Here are two pics where you can see the upper handle in the upward position. 

9AB83AA2-4BFF-4255-A7F6-681A65698FCC.jpeg

F3C4BADA-FA85-48BB-B652-194017947F46.jpeg

My canopy breakers are extended and I have no plans on trying to reset them. I had to install one of the spring loaded canopy breaker arms. They are not easy and I quickly decided that I could not properly compress the two springs and simultaneously set the three piece locking lugs around the spring loaded actuator arm. 

As far as the seat back parachute securing to the seat, I believe there are two attachment points.  

First the two lower straps on the parachute pack connected to the straps on the rear of the RSSK-8D. 

Second is the attachment of the two shoulder straps (parallel to the parachute risers) that are connected to the harness release/inertial reel that is part of the seat. 

Here is a picture showing the two parachute risers and the two shoulder harness restraint straps. 

Second picture of the inertia reel which hooks up to the shoulder straps. 

ACE43BAF-4279-43BB-A3EE-58CE6F742EBE.jpeg

5989CD74-5D43-43C7-B154-6BC1BE427B4C.jpeg

That is a great looking seat. Do you have any manufacture tags on the seat? Just curious as to when your seat was manufactured. 

Chris

Unfortunately, there are no tags at all on my seat.  There is evidence of a decal/tag on the seat, but it was removed and possibly even then painted over.  Searching the internet, I see there was someone somewhere selling a sheet of stickers to put on a refurbished IG-2, but I can't find them to buy now.

My seat also did not have an inertia reel.

My seat doesn’t have an inertial reel either. That is a picture of someone else’s seat from the internet. I will have to find one eventually. They look very expensive. LOL

That is still a great looking seat, very nice!!

Chris

Its interesting to see the one in that pic appears to be made by Hardman Tool who used to make the hardshell for the MS22001 O2 masks and the Xmas tree bayonet and receivers for the mask retention.     Ive seen numerous inertial reels pop up on ebay over the years but not sure on specific types and if they were for ejection seats or non ejection seats.

Those canopy breakers are pretty neat, never realized thats what those were before and how they pop up.

The seat O2 bottle came in today. Physically fits okay but the bottle gauge is on the other side of the cutout window on the seat lid. Still need to get some adel clamps (on order) to properly secure the O2 bottle. 

A71DF9A9-09D4-4C16-BB3A-C346182D5C0A.jpeg

Can you swipe the side of the gauge by any chance?   Looks good in there.  That looks like the lid for my RSSK-9A but it has no provisions for oxygen.  Whats the deal with the connector I see at the top?  Its a female emergency O2 fitting to fit the 2 pin bayonet twist type fittings like what would be on a bailout bottle hose or a USAF style CRU oxygen block.

According to the NAVAIR partial pub I have it is listed as the” automatic oxygen release lanyard”

Looks like the connector hooks up to a lanyard that is attached to the cockpit floor. During ejection lanyard would pull the toggle arm over and supply O2 from the seat kit.

You can see the hole in the bottom half of the seat pan for the lanyard to pass through and connect to the cockpit floor. 

Looks like a fleet wide modification 

20A9544B-1CAD-4ADF-A3B7-1E12FF2098D1.jpeg

175321D5-FC90-4B80-A4E9-6E5D6927AB12.jpeg

A7621827-FDB8-474A-9720-35CBB0FC633B.jpeg

I think this O2 bottle is an earlier version because it should have a fill valve and a manifold on the other end. This one has a dead end plug. 

Still fits in the seat kit and was very inexpensive. I am good with the overall appearance and display. 

I don’t see another cut-out for the beacon. Here is a picture of the upper seat lid with a parts breakdown. The URT-33 beacon looks like it was possibly part of the rear seat block (we used to call that the “upper seat block”). Notice the connection for O2 and comms, you also see the lanyard for possibly the beacon.  Looks like the S-3 Aircraft had an additional plug next to the g-suit hook up. 

In this picture you can also see the automatic O2 release lanyard under the left leg portion of the seat lid. 

A0485603-B9FF-428B-AB46-FFA5DE068D30.jpeg

The mounting plate for the URT-33 should be at the front inside of the container assembly,  not part of the lid If I caused any confusion.  So usually there is a cut out on the right side of the container just lower of the release handle I think.  I at least know Ive seen the little mounting plate in that spot. 

My RSSK-9A (From OV-10 Bronco)  has its URT mounted at the bottom forward right area of the container.  Shown below.  Has the flex antenna attached and you can see the actuator that goes out the side to where the cable is that attached to the aircraft deck.  The OD 550 there attached to that PLD seen in the other pic with all the contents (Survival gear bag, PLD, LR-1 raft, and raft cover)

20140310_155242.jpg

20141220_155202.jpg

Yes you are right. The cutout is exactly where you said it should be. Thank you for clearing that up!! 

I don’t know why I did not see that cutout at first glance??

Here is a pic of the bracket and cutout on the seat kit. 

38EF86AB-A33E-408E-9A3E-1E7D9CBA2F66.jpeg

7936A9F2-DD39-466B-8AE1-609181F1938D.jpeg

On 10/24/2020 at 10:15 PM, mohawkALSE said:

Good stuff.  If you decide to add more stuff, the beacon model is the URT-33A.

I will add that to my growing list of items to obtain. LOL

Chris

This is what the correct setup would be for the RSSK.   I took this a while ago so sorry its not a great pic, but shows all the parts.  Note, I have a stripped adapter installed in the beacon.  This is what I usually keep installed while its in the kit currently so I dont trip on the cable and the cotter pin is sharp that sticks out as well.   Maybe one day if I find the correct LW-3B seat Id like to get from the Bronco, Ill install my complete adapter since the bucket would cover up any trip hazards.

I have the complete adapter as you can see with the cable and hook to clip to the aircraft deck.  The cable is usually coiled better, this one is old and worn out a bit.  It looks like there is a spring loaded plunger inside that tube, when the pin is pulled it moves up and allows the beacon to go off.  When you get them new, they usually have a lanyard with a plastic plug in that spot where this adapter threads in.  Also shown is the flex antenna.  When you get on the ground the beacon can be taken out of the kit and has a telescoping antenna to be used. 

20141218_233057.jpg

Great picture of the setup. That picture answers many questions I had. I will be on the lookout for one of these setups. Thank you for the help!!

I finally obtained some adel clamps and have installed the O2 bottle in the lid of the RSSK. 

Next big item is a set of risers. 

Chris

Just added some risers and the ripcord handle to the NES-12 seat back parachute.  Still need one more female Koch fitting for the left shoulder and inertial reel and straps. 

I think I also need a cloth sleeve for the ripcord cable. 

The risers are placed in the NES-12 and temporarily held in place with zip ties as there is no chute in the pack. 

Still plugging away trying to slowly piece this together. Thank you for looking, and thanks to all of you guys that have been helping me along the way. 

Chris

AAEB77A9-8134-4C5D-8662-AA02C529E7B7.jpeg

CF68C893-E674-4052-8D63-AF7489BEFC32.jpeg

On 10/22/2020 at 9:59 AM, hink441 said:

Great looking seat!!

I believe the upper handle is spring loaded and is held in the upward position when the canopy breakers are stowed. When the canopy breakers are extended, the spring loaded arm goes to the upper position and lowers the upper handle/face curtain to the lowered position. 

Here are two pics where you can see the upper handle in the upward position. 

Look at the illustrated pic I attached.

The lever highlighted by a red line is spring loaded holding it against the stop highlighted in yellow.  Lifting on this lever makes the face curtain handle rise also. There are no stops though, it will always fall back down to the stop.  The canopy breakers don't appear to be connected to this system at all, and why would they change together?  When the breakers are engaged, you're likely already holding onto the face curtain eject handle anyway!  I'm wondering if the lever makes contact with something in the cockpit when the seat is installed.  Maybe that moves and can provide some adjustment of how high the handle is?

A7.jpeg

Could be as you say. I really don’t know the reason the upper handle has two positions. I am learning as I go and it really has been fun.

Really need to find the NAVAIR publication in order to really know the purpose. 

How is your seat coming along? Would love to see more of your ejection seat. 

Chris

I don't recall from seeing them for sale before but don't those risers have 4 or 6 snaps each that snap inside the parachute pack?   A number of earlier parachute systems were setup like that I think just to keep the risers positions well during packing and when it deploys they just unsnap from the pack.