A-7E Corsair ejection seat

hink441

I now have a new project. Have always wanted to get one of these and I just obtained this Escapac IG-2 ejection seat, this seat is from a US Navy A-7E Corsair. 

I hope to eventually find a rigid seat survival kit (RSSK-8) and a NES-12 seat back parachute to make the seat more complete. 

4F79978E-B750-45E3-B37F-24B1DA36AD73.jpeg

B7C50119-9980-4F18-A9B4-AFD700B01895.jpeg

Thats a nice seat.   The NES-12 shouldn't be too hard the find. RSSK-8s don't seem to pop up that much anymore like I used to see.  Lots of info out there about them.  When I was looking for info on the RSSK-9/9A kit from the OV-10 Bronco, all I could find was RSSK-8 info til I actually found a early 80s date NAVAIR covering seat survival kits.

Thank you for your comment. I have found a RSSK-8D online but I need to make sure it is the correct seat kit for this seat. 

Here are a couple of the online pics. 

Is this the correct RSSK??

11395885-649D-4088-98C4-3DF4BF6C6B0B.jpeg

C83E506B-36AA-4027-90EA-90BB39057AC8.jpeg

C4B622C3-E76C-4D0F-A58B-690C49B306CC.jpeg

Id say yes but have no concrete proof on the D model.   The NAVAIR I have from the early 80s only really mentions 8 in a generic term but mentions some differences in kits with the different makes like Scott and East/West Ind. etc.  Also mentions the kit for the S-3 aircraft had some differences.  Basically mentioned 8 and a 8E that was different.  I think the main difference with the 8 and a 8D if you look at the pics of that one online is the type of and location of the emergency 02 bottle that would be mounted under the lid assembly.  I think a 8 would have a straight bottle under the lid and the 8D might have had the U shaped, but that is just a guess.  I do know for sure looking at a regular 8 and the 8D it is a different type bottle between the two.   The NAVAIR I have also just basically listed the 8 series kit for the IC2 and IG2 ESCAPAC seat that A-7s and other aircraft used.  Id def check your seat pan area to see if those locking lugs at the rear of that RSSK-8D would work to lock in place.

The RSSK-8D locking lugs look like they would fit this seat. I placed one on order. Will update when I receive the seat kit. 

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the same project starting myself, picked up an old IG-2 that I'm going to make an office styly chair out of.

Searching through the internet, I haven't found much in the way of information about the construction of these seats.  Have you found a service/maintenance manual for the IG-2?  There's a seller on ebay with a manual for a different ESCAPAC style seat. I'm considering grabbing that if nothing else is available, there seems to be a lot of similarities amung the different models.

Good luck with your project, and post pictures as you go!

Crow

Hi Crow, I would love to see some pics of your seat. Please feel free to post them here if you like. 

I sent you a private message with info on a fellow forum member who is very knowledgeable and helpful. 

Chris

Recently obtained a RSSK-8D for the seat. This one is empty but in good shape. Gonna try and find an upgrade cushion and cover if I can find one. 

This one was last packed by a CDQAR at NAS Oceana. 

14E291C6-8760-41FC-988F-5D714A2C8BDD.jpeg

F0E6D9C2-87AF-47B0-8909-EC5E1E76DAB1.jpeg

ACA7220E-C15A-4A0C-812C-9627663E3938.jpeg

DEC274F3-4A53-46EE-8EC4-D9A249522AFB.jpeg

14 hours ago, hink441 said:

Hi Crow, I would love to see some pics of your seat. Please feel free to post them here if you like. 

I sent you a private message with info on a fellow forum member who is very knowledgeable and helpful. 

Chris

Chris,

I'll post some pics soon as my seat should arrive next week, I have already received the NES-12 and the RSSK though.  My RSSK is labeled -8A, I hope it doesn't affect the fit into the seat.

What is your plans, are you just displaying it or are you going to make it so it can be used as a seat?  Are you planning on repainting it at all?

-Crow

Crow,

I plan to build it up to present a nicely used display. Never gonna be a mint example LOL. 

Looking forward to seeing your ejection seat. 

Chris

Did the 8D you ended up getting have the O2 bottle under the lid or is that part missing?   Some of those 8 kits have a straight bottle, and others the U shaped, from what I was reading in the NAVAIR.  Think it depended on model and the manufacturer.

3 hours ago, mohawkALSE said:

Did the 8D you ended up getting have the O2 bottle under the lid or is that part missing?   Some of those 8 kits have a straight bottle, and others the U shaped, from what I was reading in the NAVAIR.  Think it depended on model and the manufacturer.

The RSSK-8D I have did not come with the O2 bottle. You can see that my seat kit originally had the “U” shaped bottle type installed in the upper lid. 

Chris

26 minutes ago, hink441 said:

The RSSK-8D I have did not come with the O2 bottle. You can see that my seat kit originally had the “U” shaped bottle type installed in the upper lid. 

Chris

I came across this not long ago, not sure if its the correct one or not. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aviators-breathing-Oxygen-1800-PSI-Military-Oxygen-tube-assembly/254506383315?hash=item3b41c337d3:g:VRkAAOSwlkheDo73

That tank looks like it should fit.  There were a few manufacturers, and they might be slightly different from one to another.

Below is a Scott bottle, it's sides are near equal. The bottle you got has one side slightly longer than the other.

image.png.793849a79d91e9b18805d401c385ed10.png

My RSSK-8A came with the clamps, but no bottle.  It clearly was also intended to have the U shaped bottle though.

I thought the hole cut-out in the cushion was for seeing the pressure gauge, but the hole in my cushion seems to line up with the metal cap/plug, and not with the clear window.  What is the purpose of that hole in the cushion?

Crow

I don’t know why the cushion cut-out doesn’t align with the O2 gauge window. Maybe the cushions originally were aligned with the straight O2 bottle useage. 

I have no idea who made my RSSK-8D seat kit. Hopefully the bottle I purchased will fit. 

Crow, the adel clamps used to secure the O2 bottle, what size are they? Thank you. 

Chris

I now have the container seat back for the parachute. This is the container only and is currently packed with foam. I have to make a decision now, do I want to add the parachute canopy, or simply add some straps and just display it as is?  

ADEA5CD9-7745-41CE-93C7-AE61904C848D.jpeg

825CEC16-5E32-45AE-B438-856F72244B8D.jpeg

2 hours ago, hink441 said:

I don’t know why the cushion cut-out doesn’t align with the O2 gauge window. Maybe the cushions originally were aligned with the straight O2 bottle useage. 

I have no idea who made my RSSK-8D seat kit. Hopefully the bottle I purchased will fit. 

Crow, the adel clamps used to secure the O2 bottle, what size are they? Thank you. 

Chris

When I look up that CL part number American Flight Safety Systems comes up in a list of part and stock numbers so you may be spot on since that bottle I showed you was made by them.  AFSS was in with Rocket Jet Eng,  which is another company you might see some RSSK kits made by.  Also as mentioned Scott made some and East West Industries.   My OV-1 RSSK seat kits and my OV-10 RSSK-9A were all made by AFSS/Rocket Jet.  None of those type RSSK kits have emergency O2 provisions.

I still have yet to get the seats Id like to one day have, but if that seat was mine Id probably go all out and get a C-9 canopy packed in there correct.  I usually like to have things like its RFI even though they will never be serviceable again.    But if you don't go that far, Id say get some of the correct risers for it with the Koch fittings and the foam pad will do the job.  Ive seen those risers in the past pretty frequently.  Wasnt long ago a bunch of NES-12 parts were being sold.

16 hours ago, Crow929 said:

That tank looks like it should fit.  There were a few manufacturers, and they might be slightly different from one to another.

Below is a Scott bottle, it's sides are near equal. The bottle you got has one side slightly longer than the other.

image.png.793849a79d91e9b18805d401c385ed10.png

My RSSK-8A came with the clamps, but no bottle.  It clearly was also intended to have the U shaped bottle though.

I thought the hole cut-out in the cushion was for seeing the pressure gauge, but the hole in my cushion seems to line up with the metal cap/plug, and not with the clear window.  What is the purpose of that hole in the cushion?

Crow

Crow, I think your seat pad might be from another type of RSSK kit,  Im pretty sure that hole is supposed to line up with the guage, and I know i have seen that hole on both sides of the seat pads for some different kits.

6 hours ago, hink441 said:

Chris

Chris,

The part number STAMPED on the clamp is MS21919WDG24.

When fully closed, it looks like it should tightly hold a 1-1/2" diameter tube.

I hope that helps!

-Crow

33 minutes ago, Crow929 said:

Chris,

The part number STAMPED on the clamp is MS21919WDG24.

When fully closed, it looks like it should tightly hold a 1-1/2" diameter tube.

I hope that helps!

-Crow

Thank you that is the info I need!!

Chris