U.S.A.A.F. "1 Interceptor Command"

ram957

Here is an Air Warning Service pin that has some similar elements to the pin in question.  Others I have seen have the hours bars suspended below the pin.

Marty

AWS pin.jpg

I found this via wikipedia.  Maybe it helps ID this interesting badge?

I Fighter Command was a United States Army Air Forces intermediate command responsible for command and control of the fighter operations within the First Air Force during World War II.

The command was responsible for air defense of the northeastern United States until mid-1944, as well as training fighter units and personnel.

Constituted on 26 May 1941 as I Interceptor Command, it was activated on 5 June 1941 at Mitchel Army Airfield controlling fighter operations within the First Air Force, under the command of Brigadier General John C. McDonnell. The command was based at Mitchel for the duration of its existence except for a brief stint in New York City from 27 December 1941 to 9 June 1942. Brigadier General John K. Cannon took command in March 1942. From August of that year to mid-1944 it included the Boston, New York, Norfolk, and Philadelphia Fighter Wings. Cannon was replaced by Colonel Elwood R. Quesada about 29 September; Brigadier General Willis R. Taylor took command about 25 November. Between April 1943 and around 14 April 1944 it was led by Brigadier General Glenn O. Barcus, who was replaced around 26 May by Brigadier General John R. Hawkins, its last commander. The command provided air defense for the northeast coast of the United States until August 1944, when the prospect of air attack became remote, and also trained fighter units and personnel. After the end of the war it was inactivated on 21 March 1946 and disbanded on 8 October 1948

5thwingmarty

I picked up another related pin that I thought I would share here.  It is also my first J.A. Meyers wing (well it's sort of a wing pin).  The back is only marked sterling.

When this thread was started I didn't think to check Bob's ww2wings.com website.  He shows quite a few versions of these pins, including ones like the two I posted and a couple from the 2nd Interceptor Command.  Does anyone had a pin from the 3rd IC?

J.A.Meyers AWS pin.JPG