Does anyone have a comprehensive list of US navy rates?

John Doe

I've decided to try to get a rank patch for every US Navy rate of World War 2 in order to make a display, but I've been unable to find a comprehensive list. Does anyone know of such a list or does it simply not exist?

Bearmon, 

Thanks, but I was hoping for a list of every rate with the respective insignia, not a guide for the appearance of ratings.

However, that's a great resource to use for other things, so thank you!

12 hours ago, John Doe said:

Bearmon, 

Thanks, but I was hoping for a list of every rate with the respective insignia, not a guide for the appearance of ratings.

However, that's a great resource to use for other things, so thank you!

Mr Doe, that site has a description of every rate, and the rating badge which was associated with that rate.  

Folow the links for each group of ratings.

That is what you asked for isn't it?

The John Stacey books that vintageproductions mentioned are the references you want. They list all the rates with pictures, effective dates for each rate, and a description of the rates.

David Minton

If you don’t want to get John Stacey’s book, this is probably one of the next best references out there.

Also, not sure exactly what set you are looking to get. Are you just looking for an example of each specialty mark, or do you want every every combination of backing, and chevron type? Off the top of my head it is 78 for the former, and hundreds for the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/26/2020 at 11:04 PM, John Doe said:

I've decided to try to get a rank patch for every US Navy rate of World War 2 in order to make a display, but I've been unable to find a comprehensive list. Does anyone know of such a list or does it simply not exist?

Here's my complete collector's list:

http://navycollector.com/Navy Images/__Rating_Badges_w-mark_Clean.pdf

5 hours ago, GIl Sanow said:

I have a copy of Stacey's book available.  I think I had him autograph it.

Gil

Gil,

As in for sale?

Sorry, but I'm not quite comfortable with purchasing something over a forum. Thank you for the offer though.

11 minutes ago, John Doe said:

Gil,

As in for sale?

Sorry, but I'm not quite comfortable with purchasing something over a forum. Thank you for the offer though.

If Gils selling it no worries. Hes a life long collector and well known in the community.I have dealt with him for many years going back to the AMMUC news letters. Solid guy all around.

Hi Gil,

Like I said , I don't feel comfortable purchasing something over a forum right now.

I also already found what I need from the website and the pdf that were put here, so I don't particularly need it.

Thank you for the offer, though.

-John Doe

• 1 month later...
Let me know if you feel any changes are needed in my rating specialties check list.
http://navycollector.com/Navy Images/__Rating_Badges_w-mark_Clean.pdf

Respectfully, I feel this list has one of the same shortcomings as the rarity list, in that is is structured around the names of the ratings, rather than the patches. Even setting aside the differences in versions of each specialty mark for each pattern as an issue, this list includes separate listings for multiple ratings that share the same specialty mark. For example, what is the difference between a 1941 pattern Oiler and Machinist Mate? Do I really need two copies of the same patch? There are other listings where the name of the rating changed while the specialty mark didn’t. Do I need two copies of the same patch?

42 minutes ago, TheCrustyBosun said:

How about a “family tree”? 

https://www.uniform-reference.net/insignia/usn/usn_ww2_enlisted.html  go through this link  it may have what you are looking for

1 hour ago, David Minton said:

Respectfully, I feel this list has one of the same shortcomings as the rarity list, in that is is structured around the names of the ratings, rather than the patches. Even setting aside the differences in versions of each specialty mark for each pattern as an issue, this list includes separate listings for multiple ratings that share the same specialty mark. For example, what is the difference between a 1941 pattern Oiler and Machinist Mate? Do I really need two copies of the same patch? There are other listings where the name of the rating changed while the specialty mark didn’t. Do I need two copies of the same patch?

David:

While i see what you are saying, I find the list to be good, I just line out what I don't need and the rest works for me.

To me it is worth much more than I paid for it.  That usually can't be said for much.